SR22 vs Heritage Rough Rider vs Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit

Oruglock

I'm posting here because this post features two semi-autos and a revolver.

I recently acquired an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for my Gen4 Glock 17, and also a Heritage Rough Rider (6 shot single action revolver, mine has the 4 3/4" barrel). This was my first range outing with both, and I took along my Ruger SR22 as well.

Ruger SR22

I've had minor issues with the Ruger since I got it, light strikes & FTFs, but these do seem to be reducing with each range visit. Maybe the gun is wearing in, maybe I'm just getting better at shooting it, I'm still in my first year of shooting handguns. It was the most accurate of the three for me today, but then I'm used to it. It's really comfortable in the hand, and the magazines are quick and easy to reload without resorting to a speed loader. If it weren't for the occasional misfires and FTFs I'd love it, and I'll come on to those later.

Heritage Rough Rider

I wanted a single action revolver just for the interest, and a 22LR revolver as I was getting frustrated with my perceived Ruger issues. The Heritage did both jobs, and was also cheap at $215 (and you can get them under $200 by shopping around). It shot consistently low and left for me on this outing so I need to do a bit of tweaking with the front sight, but once I get that adjusted right I think this will be a gun I take with me every range day. I don't mind the slow reloading, it gives me time to think, and it's no worse than having to pick up or sweep up the casings. I did have one round that refused to fire, but after three times through the gun removing and turning each time, and three very clear strike marks (and also tryign just running it round again without turning it) I concluded it was bad (or missing) primer and nothing to do with the gun. The Heritage also came with a 22 Mag cylinder so I popped that in (really quick and easy to do) and shot a couple of cylinders worth. No really perceived difference from shooting .22LR, maybe I need to be shooting something other than paper to see different results. .22 Mag is about the same price as 9mm, so I'll get some more just for the fun of it, and maybe I'll find somewhere I can pop at tin cans or water bottles.

Advantage Arms .22LR Conversion Kit for Gen 4 Glock 17

The AA kit is interesting. I waited six months to get hold of one, so when I got an email saying it was in stock I didn't hesitate to grab it. When it arrived it came with a long list of unsuitable ammo at which I was nonplussed, so I ignored that and just tried what I had, mostly hollow point bulk Winchester, exactly what they say not to use. It worked fine every round except the second out of each magazine was an FTF, which suggests a magazine or loading issue (possibly the springs are a little stiff), but otherwise it fed and cycled fine which was the concern. In theory the kit allows you to get the Glock feel with cheaper ammo. Kinda sorta. Since the slide must by necessity be much lighter, and the magazine holds fewer, lighter rounds, it really doesn't feel the same, despite the same trigger, grip and sights. Maybe if I only shot a Glock then this kit would be feel like better value for money, but I shoot lots of different handguns so I don't really worry about keeping the same sights, grip etc. The AA also fired high for me, about 2" at 10 yards, but when compared to the normal 9mm slide I realise that's just me, and I need to adjust my sight picture. The magazines are the worst part of the equation, being fiddly and stiff to load. Once I'd emptied all three magazines (it came with one and I bought two extra in the same purchase), I could continue to load and fire the Rough Rider faster. There is a speed loader tool that comes in the kit, and if you don't want sore fingers then use it. Hopefully the magazines will loosen up with use, making loading easier and eliminating that second round FTF issue.

Which do I like best of the three?

It's a toss up between the SR22 and the Rough Rider. The awkward and slow magazine loading of the AA takes it out of the 'pleasure to shoot' league, but if I really needed to have just one Glock platform then it would be great. It functioned fine for me, and as it works in can only get better.

The Rough Rider will be better when I get the sights adjusted. From reading and watching reviews online it seem a bit of a toss up whether you get a good one. It doesn't take much to put the bullets 2" out at 10 yards, so I need to tweak very gingerly and not overadjust. For the price, and with the addition of a new caliber for my arsenal, I'm very happy with it.

I now feel better about the Ruger, having had minor issues with all three guns. Clearly bulk 22LR ammo is not going to be the best, and I now feel that when I get a misfire or FTF I can reasonably blame a bad round and not the gun.