Squib Load And Removal

Daekar

Just wanted to report a squib load I had today while shooting my CZ 452 Ultra Lux... I was using Remington Subsonic ammo, the kind sold at Walmart, and low and behold there was even less sound than usual and no puff of dust to indicate a shot. I removed the bolt and yep, the barrel was obstructed by the bullet. So, has anybody ever had a squib with this ammo before? It's my first-ever, so I'm not entirely clear on how to remove the bullet. Can I just take an aluminum cleaning rod and push it/pound it out?

BlackJackID

Yes, Gentle tapping with a rod should remove it, though I actually would recomend a wooden dowel close to the bore size instead. Theres probably no chance of the aluminum hurting your riflings, but there is absolutely zero chance of wood hurting it. Good luck, and its a good thing you noticed it...Thumbs up for being observant

GONIF

If you pour some Koril in and use a fiber glass or aluminum rod and tap it out all will be good . The Kroil realy helps.

grumpa72

Spray some lubricant down the barrel and tap the bullet with either a hardwood wooden dowel or a brass rod from Home Depot. Tap from the barrel end to the muzzle.

AK103K

Skip the wood dowel and use a brass rod. If the wood lets go, it'll only make a reasonably easy fix into a mess.

Palmetto-Pride

I have nothing to add for advice, but I wonder if you took another round pulled the bullet out put the caseing back in the chamber and then shot it if that would push the bullet out???? Not suggesting you do it, but it is food for thought.........

Jim Watson

Hatcher did some work on shooting out stuck bullets and other bore obstructions. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Occasionally it damaged the barrel. He had Springfield Armory spares to back up his experiments. We don't.

I favor a brass rod. Maybe more than one so you can start out with one not protruding so far as to twang or bend when hit.

JACK308

That happend to me when I was at the range shooting my 308. The Barnes 168 gr. bullet was stuck in the guns throth the guys at the range tryed I tryed with a brass rod but had to take to a gunsmith to get it out!.

Ideal Tool

Hello, Daekar. It shouldn,t be too tight..like the other posts suggested..put some light oil in there & carefull tap out..once moving, a firm push by hand should move it thru. I would use a close fitting flat faced brass jag on a preferably coated steel cleaning rod. As for brass rod..3/16" is probably the closest you'll be able to find..it's a bit small..I would first make sure any burrs are filed off & face flat as possible. I would center cleaning patch & push this down to keep rod centered...And for continued harmony in household...Dont use a steel hammer any where near your firearm..you'll be in nasty mood for along time when you put that big dent in there! Use rawhide, or at most plastic.

Marquezj16

Tap from the barrel end to the muzzle.

I'm confused about this. So if I have a bullet stuck at the very beginning end of the rifle, I should still push it all the way through to the muzzle end?

Wouldn't the path of less resistance be easier?

To the OP - I stopped using Rem 22lr ammo a while back, not because I had a squib, but because they are dirty and almost always would have a few duds (failed to fire) in the bulk box.

Ideal Tool

Hello, Marquezj16. If the slug is near the breech end, tap it out the breech, being careful of the muzzle by holding rod centered & using rawhide, wood, or plastic..NOT steel hammer. I would not tap out by lifting rod & banging away with it.

big al hunter

I have nothing to add for advice, but I wonder if you took another round pulled the bullet out put the caseing back in the chamber and then shot it if that would push the bullet out???? Not suggesting you do it, but it is food for thought
:eek:

Very bad idea!!!!! I have a friend that loaded a muzzleloader and couldn't get the ball all the way down the barrel. So he fired it anyway. It bulged the barrel badly exactly where the ball was stuck. This causes a high pressure event that can ruin the barrel or the action.

Shotgun693

JSYK, you can get a brass rod at a welding shop. Get the rod that is the largest that will fit in the barrel. You can put a piece of rubber tubing in the end of the barrel and then insert the rod through the tubing.

m&p45acp10+1

Oil the barrel, use a cleaning rod with a brass jag made to push a patch through, not the loop type. Use a bore guide to keep from damaging the crown, and tap it out. Most times with small caliber rounds it should just take a couple of light taps. I have had more squibs in handguns than rifles though. With handguns I just use a cleaning rod and the bench.