Squared-off vs. Rounded Trigger Guards

Willie D

I prefer the look of a rounded trigger guard on just about everything except very blocky guns like the Glock or XD.

My question is how many people here hold the front of the trigger guard in their grip?

ChicagoTex

My question is how many people here hold the front of the trigger guard in their grip?

Not I, nor anyone else who's been instructred properly.

The idea that squared off-trigger guards are there to make this shooting style more convenient is a myth, most trigger guards (at least today) that are squared off make are to A. make mounting a light/laser on the tac rail easier and/or B. make holding the gun against partial cover easier and more stable (The Beretta M9A1's trigger guard is extra flattened for expressly this purpose).

Smaug

Good post ChicagoTex. I always wondered about that when I saw the guys in the magazines talking about that grip. Your points seem much more rational.

I prefer rounded trigger guards, but that won't make the decision for me. It just makes a better-looking gun. (Ex. The Walther PP design is over 70 years old, and still looks modern)

10-96

I agree for the most part with C.T. But, there is a time and place for such on duty arms- but man, I sure likes the look of the Sig 239 and 232. And now that I think about it, I'm tickled my 1911 is rounded.

Pilot

Its another marketing gimic like front slide serrations, and light rails to make the gun look more "tactical". Dumb and unnecessary.

Dobe

Some of the more modern designs are going away from the squared look. The HK 45 is an example of this trend. I don't like the squared look either.

Willie D

I thought it was solely for grip or tacticoolness. Thanks ChicagoTex for teaching me about the 'stabilizer' function!

The square guard looks afwul on some guns like S&W autos.

In all fairness, the squared trigger guard was promoted and used by some of the best shots in the business earlier, and was almost mandatory to be really up-to-snuff if you were a competitior. The finger forward grip was felt to provide a more secure hold for the shooter. Even rounded trigger guards were sometimes checkered or had some grooves cut into them for the finger to hold better. Ray Chapman, for example, used the finger-forward hold to win in early IPSC championships. It wasn't until later when we began doing high-speed photography that it was found the finger-forward grip didn't help that much. By then the squared trigger was pretty much esconced as a design element.

Don P

Square guards

On my G26 its a perfect place for my finger to rest.:eek: I don't care WHO thinks its wrong:eek: its what works for ME and thats all that counts in the end,:cool:

Que

Not me. Many, many moons ago when on a weekend shooting trip two of the guys I was with were ex-Special Forces, several years my senior. I pulled out my Steyr GB and was shooting away and they walked over to me shaking their heads. They showed me several things, but chief among them was pulling my finger down off the trigger guard. They explained to me that it added little if anything good and could do a whole lot bad including stringing my shots vertically (more likely) and horizontally (less likely). I figured both of those guys would know, and my finger hasn't been back since.

scottycoyote

well im gonna show my technical unsoundness and say i use the squared off gaurd on my 6906 and like it. I got big hands, its a small gun, and i definitely am more accurate if i put my wrap my index finger around it while i shoot.

Magyar

Not I, nor anyone else who's been instructred properly.
Where did you get that notion from? If you check back on some of the former Bianchi Cup winners; it was used and is still used by some competitive shooters. Armand Swenson, a builder for champions, didn't square-off his trigger guards for their looks....:)

RickB

I saw a guy doing it on Saturday, but it's the first time, in a long time. Squared and hooked trigger guards became somewhat popular in the 1980s, but just about the time the finger-forward trend was ending. Then, Glock started it all over again, and for a while, no new polymer pistol didn't have the squared guard. I don't think anyone has fingers long enough to possibly reach the trigger guard on a Glock, do they?

ChicagoTex

I don't think anyone has fingers long enough to possibly reach the trigger guard on a Glock, do they?

I can easily get my knuckle across the front of the trigger guard on my G26 while still maintaining an otherwise proper grip. But then I have big hands.

sophijo

ground off

it looks like there's some added material there at the 90, on my Sigs. Can that be "radiused" without screwingup the structural integrity of the guard?

Shadi Khalil

I prefer the rounded trigger guard both for looks and function. The square trigger guard looks bad and has no purpose, imo.

Last edited:

GTR645

I thought the square trigger guards gave a bit more room for shooters who were wearing gloves. Of course, I could be wrong.