Springs for a Beretta

kst8fan

Looking to replace the hammer and recoil spring for my Beretta 92a1. I have heard good things about the D spring trigger replacement kit from Beretta. I also hear you can use a 1911 18lb mainspring for a hammer spring. Which of these would be a better option? As far as a recoil spring, I'm not sure which way to go as far as what lb spring to buy. Any suggestions? I just bought a new steel trigger upgrade for it as well. Im doing all this to try to smooth the trigger a bit. Also since I have a steel trigger now, would a Wolff trigger conversion unit be a good upgrade for my 92a1? I hear this a good upgrade as opposed to the factory trigger spring due to trigger spring breakage. NoT sure if this will work in my 92A1. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Dragline45

The D spring is the best mod you can do for the Beretta, it is what the DAO Beretta's use and makes a tremendous difference on the pull weight. You can get both the recoil spring and D mainspring from www.brownells.com which is the official parts provider for Beretta.

Dragline45

If I am replacing the recoil spring should I go with a factory 13 lb spring(wolf) or go heavier?

The factory spring is actually a 14lb spring. Personally, I like to keep the recoil springs the stock weight, because Beretta did a whole lot more testing than Wolf did on what works best with the 92 series pistols. The only time I would mess with recoil springs is if I was shooting either very light target loads for competition, or a large amount of +P or +P+ loads. Generally, when shooting very light loads, you often need a lighter recoil spring for the gun to cycle reliably. When shooting higher pressure loads, it's a good idea to use a heavier spring to not put as much wear and tear on the gun. If you are going to be shooting mostly standard pressure ammunition, and the occasional box of +P rounds, stick to the factory 14lb spring. Keep in mind that the same 14lb spring is used for both the 9mm and .40 Beretta 92's, the .40 is a higher pressure round than the 9mm, and the 14lb spring works fine for it. So really, even if you are shooting +P rounds through the Beretta, a heavier spring really is not needed.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/recoil-spring-prod32091.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Beretta__92

Last edited:

kst8fan

Ok I keep reading about the wolf trigger conversion unit for the Beretta 92. They say they will not work if you have a polymer trigger. I purchased a steel trigger so I'm good to go there. My question is this a necessary upgrade?
These were said to have been developed for trigger spring breakage in the Beretta 92. I have the 92A1 model in 9mm. I'm ordering a hammer D spring just don't know if the Wolff trigger conversion is necessary or will even work in the 92A1. Would appreciate some help on this matter as I am not sure what to order as I'm trying to upgrade the Beretta a bit. Thanks

Pilot

The D spring conversion will work in the 92A1. I recommend the Elite II hammer to go with the spring conversion. I don't know about the Wolff trigger spring conversion. I never worried about the trigger spring breaking.

Lots of experts here though.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/