Springfield XDS racking slide and stuck round

Josh17

I’m not all too knowledgeable about semi autos so was wondering if this type of thing is common:
I field stripped the Springfield XDS in order to clean it (so took mag out then rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber) but instead of the round falling free like it has 100 other times in the past in my Glocks (new to Springfield) It instead somehow got stuck/jammed inside.

What I don’t understand is how the round went from inside the chamber to this:

lAlc1mE_d.jpg

I’ve never seen a round get stuck like this from racking the slide to clear the round in the chamber. Instead of clearing it, it got stuck like that.

It is a “weird” type of low grain HP round so maybe poor feeding or design? I went through just a couple boxes without any issues before, so I dunno. Or is this more common then I think? First time I have ever seen it, so was kind of confused how it ended up like that...

I normally had Glock’s prior, so this was my first time ever trying to clear a round out of the XDS Chamber, and first time ever trying and it jams up like in the picture above. I got it cleared out but still just wondering..

David R

It looks to me like the round is LONG. The bullet is pulled out some from the case and will not eject because the front end is still in the camber. Remove magazine with the slide locked back and wiggle the cartridge and it will come out. To confirm, put it along side a new cartridge from the same box. It should be longer.

Becareful. Do not fire the round unless its pointed at a safe backstop.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

lee n. field

Hmmm.

Push down on the base of the cartridge, from the top. I'm betting it will pop loose from the extractor, and fall down the magazine well. (Magazine's out, right?)

Josh17

Yeah, I was able to get it out fine. Now my issue is wondering why a couple rounds also had issues chambering...
I just never had a round get stuck before when racking the slide to clear a round out..So I thought maybe that was a sign that the round wasn’t chambered correctly? So I wondered if maybe it’s these low grain 9mm HP rounds...

I tried it about 20x more by putting a round directly into the chamber, then racking the slide without the mag. Just to see if it chambers the round okay. It seemed to chamber them all fine, besides two times I noticed it wasn’t fully in battery. Odd. So I just tapped it from the rear and it was back into battery but I wasn’t at the range to actually function test it (happened twice with the HP rounds). But I tried it again and now the same rounds seem to chamber just fine.... I don’t get it.

I can also make other rounds get “jammed” like in the picture above with FMJ rounds also, if I don’t rack the slide with enough force. Weird never had this happen in my life. I must be getting weaker, lol.
So maybe that’s the issue? Can that also cause it not to go fully into battery when trying to chamber said round?

Last edited:

Carmady

I tried it about 20x more by putting a round directly into the chamber, then racking the slide without the mag. Just to see if it chambers the round okay.

I used to have a XDS 45 and I'm pretty sure the manual said to only chamber rounds from the mag.

Putting a round in the chamber by hand, and then closing the slide can damage the extractor.

HiBC

Carmady is right.In many magazine fed guns the cartridge nust feed up the breech face ,under the extractor.The extractor is not designed to flex out and snap over the rim. In an emergency,they typically will,but damage may result.

If you are going to carry a semi-auto,realize not every factory round you can buy will work in your gun.Its your responsibility to establish what your gun runs on.

I agree it appears that cartridge is too long for that handgun.The bullet cannot swing freely up and to the right to exit the gun.It does appear there is a lot of bullet showing. I can't eyeball from a pic to a conclusion. Some measurements are in order to see if the ammo has changed and was loaded to spec. In any case,your gun won't eject that loaded round.

Be aware,if you were to "unload" in a complacent fashion,just removing the magazine and racking the slide,that one round could find its way back into the chamber.It could cause another "death by unloaded gun"

That can happen to highly respected lifetime experts,not just newbies.Never let clearing a firearm become an unconscious routine habit. Retain your focus.

Sometimes a rubber recoil buffer is added in good faith to a handgun to reduce wear.These devices can reduce slide stroke and cause this problem.

One idea that is not a bad one,ask your local sheriff what ammo the dept uses. Consider trying that one out.

lee n. field

I used to have a XDS 45 and I'm pretty sure the manual said to only chamber rounds from the mag.

Putting a round in the chamber by hand, and then closing the slide can damage the extractor.

I'd only drop a round in the chamber if the manual explicitly said it was OK. Ruger P-series is the only one I am aware of that's that way. (Makarov extractors also, in normal operation, jump the rim. Their breech face is weird and unique.)

Josh17

Oh... So what if I put a round directly into the chamber like 20 times in a row? I was putting a round right into the chamber, and racking the slide to see if the round was not the right size... So I tested it maybe 20 times or so just to make sure these rounds weren’t the wrong size or something.

But by doing that you’re saying it possibly damaged the extractor by doing that? If so how do you even tell if it damaged it?

Jleonard

Quoted from the XDS manual. I bolded the caution to highlight it, it was not bold in the manual

Caution: Do not slam or forcefully jam magazine into
magazine well.
5. Depress the slide stop lever to allow slide to move forward and
load a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber.
6. The loaded chamber indicator will be in the up position (See
Figure 12-2).
Caution: Never load cartridge by hand directly into the
chamber.

Caution: The firearm is now ready to fire.
NOTE: An alternative method to load the cartridge into the
chamber is to forcefully pull the slide completely to the rear
and in one motion quickly release it, allowing the slide to slam
forward unimpeded under its own force. (Do not hold the slide
as it moves forward. “Riding the slide” in
this manner can cause cartridge to jam
or misfeed.) The loaded chamber
indicator will be in the up position
(See Figure 12-2).