Springfield XD9 opinions

meat

What is the general consensus of Springfield's XD9? I got to hold one the other day and it was a nice feeling gun. The trigger was similar to the glock's but not quite as "sproingy." I also liked the 1911 style grip safety. Anywhoo, I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this gun. I know it's basically a HS2000 w/ Springfield's name on it (it even has Croatia stamped on the side of the slide). It kinda has me thinking for a price tag of only 400 bucks...... :) The only reviews I've read were in one of the gun rags, and they were, of course, very favorable. ;)

vertigo7

I love my HS2k. Mine is my CCW gun, and goes with me daily. I trust it completely to go bang when I need it to. As soon as I'm financially able, I want to buy a few more of them, especially if Springfield makes good on their intention to release an XD in .45acp in 2003.

vertigo7

Ikari

Don't have the 9, but I've got the .40 version, and I love it. It's my first (and only) handgun, and I couldn't be happier. (well, that's not completely true, because I didn't have the money for an HK...) :D

Kermit

I have renting XD's over the last month. THe first one I rented was a 9mm. Nice shooting, accurate & seemed very reliable. My only complaint was that the trigger pull was VERY long. Last weekend, the range I go to got in a XD 357 sig & I rented that one. Same shooting experience was the 9, but the trigger pull was considerably shorter. It shot so much 'nicer' that I'm considering buying one of my own. Plus being a range gun, these see alot more use than a privately owned gun & they seem to be very durable.

mikemck

The XD-9 you rented had an extremely long trigger pull? How bizarre.

Every XD I have handled has consistently had a nice short trigger pulll, which is one of the main attractions for me.

bsly

I bought an XD-9 less than a month ago and have since put 400 rounds of Wal-Mart Winchester White Box through it. No failures of any kind. The trigger feels better than a Glock to me, but upon shooting the XD-9 and G-17 side by side, the difference is just barely noticeable. The trigger breaks cleaner on the XD-9, but doesn't reset as fast as the Glocks. I think the XD-9 is fabulous, and I rank it just as well as my Glocks and HK USP. It is hard not to compare the XD with the Glock for various reasons, but they are actually quite different guns. The XD-9 shoots great, feels more comfortable than the Glocks, and take down for cleaning is just as simple. The finish on the XD-9 is smooth with just a hint of shine (like the HK USP). The XD-9 is probably the best value on the market in a modern design handgun. The Bang for Buck ratio doesn't get much better than this! I only wish I could have had my XD-9 in a 5 inch tactical model, but I am still very pleased with the 4 inch model anyway.

XD-9 = Excellent Value and Satisfaction

jar

I bought one of the HS2000s when they first hit the shelves and now, about two years later, I can say that this is really a world class pistol. IMHO, the price is still low and will continue to go up with acceptance. Look for this to be a $500-800.00 pistol in a couple years.

jar

I can only say that in two years and many thousands of rounds I've never had the ejection problem.

The trigger resets. What other comment were you looking for? It's not as short a reset as my STAR UltraStar but faster than my SiGPro.

Gumbo

The ejection problems have indeed been taken care of. The problem was with some of the HS2000's and was caused by weak extractors. These have been beefed up and life is grand. Springfield is honoring the lifewarranty of the old HS's too should you have any problems with them. To be honest though, if you have extraction problems with your HS its cheaper to buy a new beefy extractor than to pay to have your pistol shipped to SA.

The trigger reset is slightly longer than some pistols but not unusually so. I adjusted to it in no time and I do not notice it at all. It takes nothing away from performance or function IMO.

I love all the XD's...best gun going for this kid.