springfield XD ?

kidcoltoutlaw

does it have chamber support for hot handloads ? how does it feed how is the accuracy esp ? in the 357SIG and the 40 S&W with the 5 inch barrels can you swap barrels and shoot the 357 and 40 does springfield sell the barrels or do you go to barsto ? how is the trigger can it be made better ? can you get holsters for it ? how hard is it to do a complete break down ,i can do the SIG and the 1911 thanks,keith

oops

Springfield can get you all the small parts you need but they don't have barrels, slides or frames. If they need a major part for warranty work they pull the part off a new gun. For a conversion barrel you can get a EFK Fire Dragon from www.xd-gear.com (they carry all kinds of stuff for the XD).

In my hands my XD-357 shoots more accurately free hand than any other gun except a 1911. The trigger pull varies (seat of the pants impression) between 4-8 pounds on the various XDs I've tried. I did have a trigger job done on it which really cut down on my flyers. The trigger job reduced the long take up and reset by two thirds and the pull measures 3.25 pounds at the center and 2.5 at the release. The stock gun came with a 4 pound pull.

There may not be as many holsters available for it as for Glocks and SIGs but there are plenty out there for the XD. If you like Kydex there's Cen-Dex, Comp-Tac and Blade-Tec. Plenty of leather too.

Field stripping is as easy as a SIG. I haven't done a detail breakdown yet and don't know if I would do one myself.

The weak points are the slide finish, some 40s seem to misfeed when the bullets get caught on the slide stop. Filing down the stop a little cures this. Also extra attention should be paid to cleaning the crud out from behind the extractor.

The XD forum is at www.hs2000talk.com

tauroid

Thanks for the reviews, ivssgt, and Stephen A. Camp. Very informative. The better half is interested in a handgun, (but not a revolver which I'd recommended), so I'd beenn reading up on self-loaders. I'd pretty much settled on a Glock but then ran acroos the XD, and it seemed a fine choice for reasons of simplicity, safety and economy in the 9mm calibre. Reliablility was the open question.

Stephen, is 'Defensive Handguns' suitable reading for a sixteen year old with a minimal back ground, but an interest, in the topic?

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. If the 16 year old is mature, it should be suitable. There are no really graphic pictures of what "it" looks like when someone is killed in a pistol fight, and the book is aimed at newer members of the shooting community or those interested in self-protection but that might not have a strong handgunning background.

Best.

rdebert

Oops..nailed it with his reponse. All I can add is that I have the XD-357 Service and the 9mm conversion barrel from xd-gear (EFK as mentioned) which allows me to practice with the same hand gun for less money. Pretty cool...works great.