Springfield XD Ported V-10 or porting in general.

swingset

I have an XD 357, not ported, but I do think their porting looks to be an effective, well thought out version. Looks good too.

I have a Taurus PT-945 that's ported inline with the top of the barrel, and while it does a great job of reducing flip, it produces quite a fireball in low light, and also throws soot into the front dot and into the top of the slide. I don't use the gun for defense, but I wouldn't use it because of these attributes. I don't think the XD will suffer the same negative side affects by looking at it, and it may tame the recoil quite a bit.

Majic

I see no need in it. If the recoil is that much of a problem with you then maybe you should step down in power.

Frenchy

There is no doubt that porting reduces muzzle flip and thus helps in felt recoil.
On the other hand!...It's louder, dirtier to clean up and muzzle flash may be a problem when shooting in reduced light situations.
For me...there are more "cons" than "pros". My standard HS2K works just fine.

Jiml3

i would not buy any gun with porting, no matter how great a bargain it was. Don't like the idea of sparks
flying up in my face in a serious situation. If it's a question of recoil, step down in caliber or find a gun such as all steel that reduces the effect of recoil.

Jiml3

Handy

Porting is just an extra complication on a gun that is supposed to be simple. It shouldn't be necessary with light powered combat calibers.

Porting and comps are useful on really big magnums or IPSC open guns.

But if it really pushes you "geez whiz" button, go ahead. It will probably not cause you problems, but it really isn't doing that much for you. The best way to control muzzle rise is too shoot often. I can't even tell what caliber I'm shooting anymore.

Arc Angel

:rolleyes: Humm, good question!

There is no doubt in my mind that the parallel-to-bore axis Mag-na-ports on my 6” S&W Model 27 definitely improve my shot-to-shot times and allow me to hold onto a better sight picture. This has, also, been the consensus of opinion among other shooters who have occasionally used this gun in competition. Frankly I would prefer porting on every hunting gun I own – porting belongs on hunting weapons.

The necessity, even the relevance, of porting on combat weapons is more open to question. I’ve, also, got perpendicular-to-bore axis ports on two of my 6” barreled Colt 1911’s. Porting in this instance works very well. Because the ports are on the last inch of barrel beyond the slide, the sights are not affected; and there is minimal flash visible upon firing. (At least that I’m able to see.) Even with, ‘full house’ loads, I do not find the recoil to be excessive, nor the perceived flash to slow me down. Quite the opposite, actually. Both of these long barreled 1911’s put the rounds exactly where the muzzle is pointing with minimal sight picture disturbance.

I used to own and frequently use an S&W Model 19 with a ported 2 1/2” barrel. This weapon had lots of flash to it, and always blackened the sights after, about, a dozen rounds. Personally, I don’t buy into the idea that you can’t use a ported gun effectively from, ‘retention’. Sure you can! This is, however, a DS situation in which you shouldn’t be watching the muzzle, anyway; and, if you’re already in this much, ‘doo-doo’, who cares about powder burns on your clothing? I would think that blood and guts splatter would be more of a concern!

This being said, I would NOT buy any of the modern semi-automatic designs with cuts in both the slide and barrel for, about, the same reasons that I, also, wouldn’t use any 44 magnum pistol in any sort of combat scenario. (As a matter of fact the last time I attempted to use a 44 magnum in IDPA-style shooting, my times positively stunk! I was, still, able to shoot straight enough; but, there was no way I could keep up with the other shooters on a shot-for-shot basis.) Pistols with ported slides and barrels are DEFINITELY NOT ideal combat weapons. The muzzle flip does go down; but the sight picture is significantly degraded by the excessive: flash, noise, and subsequent distraction. You're going to lose time; and, in low light, this brilliant flash will quickly dilate your pupils and dangerously reduce your night vision.

IME, ported weapons are much like people: You shouldn’t rule them out, categorically. Ported weapons have their uses; and you have to consider each one as you find it. Some porting designs and systems work very well in given applications while others work not particularly well at anything. Certain types of porting work better than others, too.

As a general rule you would be wise to leave ports off combat guns. ;)

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I swear by porting. I clean the ports on my guns with lengths of string dunked in Hoppe's No. 9. It takes less than five minutes to clean the ports, although if I shoot lots of lead, it can take up to ten to brush off the lead from the rib.

Arc Angel

:eek: That's too much, 'donkey work' for me! Get a, 'Lead Wipe' cloth and cut thin strips off it. Use these instead of the string and brush.

PS: Cost is about the same; but, IOSSO bore cleaning compound, also, works well. Apply it with a small rag; AND be sure to wear latex gloves when you do this! ;)

carebear

Looks like the porting companies are missing out on a marketing angle.

"Self-blacking" sights. Reduces glare, see, for those all-important follow-up shots. The next revolution in tactical handgunning. Article soon to follow in your favorite gun perodical.

:D

carebear

Even a perfectly placed shot won't necessarily drop an animal in its tracks, a fast follow up shot to anchor it, regardless of the lethality of the first round, can save a LOT of tracking time.

Like the old demo. maxim goes, "two is one, one is none."

Thus my hobby of shooting o's as they appear on the tv with my bolt gun.