Springfield XD, Ported V-10 ... any one seen?

Ikari

PortedInset.jpg

...so pretty :p

Marko II

Yes, they're V-10 ported. Sorry for not making that clear. $459 is the price. Same shop also just sold a two-tone OD Green/Black version. Pretty neat looking. And they just received some nines and forties with factory nightsights -- Trijicon "straight eights" (put the front dot on top of the rear dot and it looks like the number eight). $499 for non-ported with nights.

Take care. Marko

JIH

I have not shot a ported model, but my 4" .40 doesn't have much problem at all with muzzle flip. It's one of the reasons I really like the pistol... I can make 4 or 5 rapid shots and keep very good groups, and have probably sold 4 pistols for Springfield by doing so, in only a month of having the gun.

EOD Guy in VA

I don't think there's any reason to suspect SA has made the ported version because of excessive muzzle flip.

SA offer that option on their 1911's too. I think it's pretty much a standard variation from them. My SA 1911 Ultra Compact has no muzzle flip at all without porting.

glockorama

IMHO, porting a fullsize 9mm is pretty pointless. I have had ported 9's and 40's in the past and noticed little to no change in muzzle flip or recoil. I think people like it 'cause it looks cool.

Plus the added muzzle blast. Not worth it.

Onslaught

AVOID PORTED GUNS ESPECIALLY FOR CARRY.
Ya know, people say this emphatically all the time, but I wonder... how big a'deal could it be? Have you ever fired a ported barreled pistol at night with carry ammo to see this blinding effect for yourself?

Have you ever fired a REVOLVER at night? I can't imagine a few holes in the barrel being nearly as "flashy", loud, and "gassy" as the cylinder gap on any revolver.

Carry ammo is usually designed to have very little flash anyway. Target ammo is another story, so I can see where some might get that idea.

I have seen a website with pictures showing the difference between "C" and regular model Glock pistols fired in dim light. There was little or no appreciable difference between them. I searched my butt off before posting, but couldn't find it. :(

I just wonder if this isn't a lot like the "don't carry IWB or you could be paralized" thing.... Lots of people swearing by what few of them have personally tried.

Believe it or not, this is NOT intended to be a flame...

Master Blaster

I had a springfield V-10 champion ultracompact owned it for a year put about 800 rounds through it. When I shot in a covered position at the range the Blast was like a kick in the teeth or a smack in the head.

The blast was so fierce to me that it caused me to flinch. It may have reduced the muzzle flip, but I was too busy flinching to notice.:(

I now have an officers ACP (smaller .45 acp) and it is a *****cat to shoot by comparison with the same ammo (230 grain fed hydrashok, and 185 +p).

Ports could be a problem in a gunfight because the stuff that CAN come out of them could blind or injure you especially if you fire from a closed retention position (close to your face or body).

Tamara has the V-10 and she loves hers.

YMMV

EOD Guy in VA

nonbox & glockorama ...
There is no need on a 9mm and that's why SA doesn't offer it.
It's only an option for .40S&W and .357SIG
Plus, who says "need" is even a factor here. Maybe SA just wants to offer it as an option for anyone who just "wants" that opton.
Homework assignment = http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-ported.shtml

Masterblaster ...
I don't plan on using it for CCW There are better pistols around for that. I agree with Onslaught, I've fire pistols with porting and haven't really notice the flash to be a problem.
I just want to add the piece to my collection.

Smurfslayer ...
Thanks. I hadn't thought to check them. I'll drop by this weekend.

Good discussion going ... thanks