Springfield XD, Glock 17, or S&W mp 40

zachattack2

what do you guys think I should get the Springfield XD essentials, Glock 17 , or smith and Wesson M&P???

Thanks,
Zach

Last edited:

jmhyer

Wow, that's a broad question. Different brands, different calibers...

What is your past experience? What exactly are you hoping to find? What will be the new gun's purpose?

More information will help tremendously.

Japle

I have a G17, G19 and three XDs, an XDm 9mm (full size frame with the 3.3 barrel) an XD45 Service and an XDs45.
I recommend the G19 over the G17, just because so many people - including me - shoot it better than the G17. When the G19 was my EDC gun, I also carried a spare G17 mag, giving me 33 rounds.
But now I carry the XDs 45 most of the time with one spare mag. If' I'm wearing a jacket, I like the bigger XDm 9mm in the factory paddle holster. Either way, I prefer the XD platform over the Glock, but not by much.
You really can't go wrong no matter which way you decide. Glock sights are crap and should be replaced. I use TFOs. Both platforms are going to need trigger work, preferably good aftermarket parts installed and polished by someone who knows what the hell he's doing.

Captains1911

There's no way for anybody here to be able to answer that question for you with the info provided. Get the one with the features YOU want and that fits YOU best.

mrdaputer

Which one feels the best and do you shoot the best with. That is the one you get. Have you picked up a Walthers PPQ and felt the sweet trigger?

joe-lumber

G 19

I have a Glock 19 Gen 3 that I shoot better than my other Gen 4, 19. But lately I have been carrying my G26 to Conceal it better.

This is just my 2 cents. I have shot all of them and here's what I liked and didn't like.

Glock

Liked-the gen 4s come with adjustable back straps, a good trigger and handle recoil well. I have to use the biggest back strap with a beaver tail because of the size of my hands. Points well and the G17 is a very soft shooter.

Don't Like-took me nearly a year to get good with my 23 because of trying different backstraps and learning how to shoot a Glock because of grip angle.

XD

Liked-points well, shoots well, trigger is very soft and the reset is short.

Don't like-high bore axis and to me the trigger is "too soft".

M&P

Liked-shoots like a workhorse, decent trigger, and handles a 40 very well.

Don't like-in order to have a great trigger you have to order one. The price is good on them but you could spend $100 more and get a gun with a good trigger without having to have a trigger installed.

I'd also look into FNH pistols before you make your final decision. Rugers aren't bad either.