Springfield TRP?

Okay folks,

I've decided against customizing any of my pistols, and have decided to buy a full size 1911 instead.

I've narrowed it down to probably Springfield.

What are the differences between a regular loaded Springfield (parkerized), and the TRP?

Does the TRP have any features that make it worth the extrra $400, or are they just charging for a snazzy name?

Does anyone own a TRP and have any feedback on them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
The TRP has the following features that the Loaded model does not:

1. 20 LPI Frontstrap and Mainspring Housing Checkering $250+
2. Tritium night sights $100
3. Ambi safety $30
4. Mag Well $175+

Add those features to a Loaded and the price easily skyrockets.

Tman

Went to a gunshow this weekend and saw a used TRP for $899 (was told it had 50 rnds through it). Is this a good price? I would have purchased it but the front strap was rather sharp, like a hundred pins sticking in my hand. Would taking a file to the front strap be a good solution?

thunderstick

I looked at a TRP the other day and really disliked the front checkering. I think it was more so along the lines of 2 lpi. It was very sharp.

Glock_Racer

I've noticed that SA made their front strap thicker to accomodate the checkering. It kinda sticks out a bit and the checkering feels like a rose bush in your hands.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
The TRP has 20 lpi for one simple reason, it was designed as a serious carry gun. If your hand is wet, oily, bloody, whatever ... it will still give you a serious grip. It was built to the same specifications as the FBI model.

Personally, I don't find it too sharp and my hands aren't exactly made of concrete. On the other hand, the gun wasn't designed strictly as a target pistol. It's a carry gun.

For those that feel 20 lpi is too sharp, there's always 30 LPI. If you don't feel that you need night sights, ambi safety and magwell, then buy a Loaded and get it checkered to 30 lpi.

... and $899 for a used TRP is a hellish good price.

GGGLOCK

armedbutnotdangerous,

I see you're from Las Vegas. If you are considering buying locally, I saw a TRP at The Gun Store on Tropicana several weeks ago. Don't remember the price though :( . I've also seen Loaded models at Bills, NPA, and Discount Firearms, around a month ago.

There's also the Cashman Field gun show this weekend.

Happy hunting!

Mute

One update on the differences between the Loaded and TRPs. 2001 Loaded models come standard with Novak night sights.

Flattop

Hey TMAN,

Buy the gun and get use to the checkering or buy a glove if you have to. Don't you dare take a file to the front strap. I wish I could find the TRP for $899.00 with only fiftey round through it.

RWK

My 2001 ArmoryKote TRP is an absolutely outstanding 1911A1. I simply cannot praise it too highly. My other 1911A1s -- Kimber, Colt and Springfield -- are excellent, but the TRP is clearly better. I would guess a TRP begins to approach "semi-custom" (Baer, Wilson) standards, at about half the price. You simply will not go wrong with the TRP.

Incidentally, the 2001 models have eliminated the sharp edges found on earlier Springfields.

Tman

Hey Flattop:
I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks before the next gunshow. Hopefully it hasn't been sold yet (wishful thinking?). I think I'll try to toughen up my hands by jamming them in heated buckets of sand (saw that on an old episode of Kung-Fu).

geegee

I bought a lightly used TRP about 3 months ago for an asking price of $925. What made it such a good buy is that I bought it using a $500 gift certificate, having paid the original owner of the certificate $350. Hence my actual cost was $775!For once, I felt great about buying a used pistol. And by the way, it shoots great-this is one outstanding 1911. geegee

Glock_Racer

Okay I admit it! I'm bias! :D

I owned a stainless Loaded model once, sold it, then I missed the gun (the 1911, not this one in particular) so I bought a Kimber and never looked back. SA makes good guns, and its really just apples and oranges between the two. A friend of mine bought the exact same gun I had, NIB and during his first range session the rear Novak sight kept coming lose (now secured with blue Loctite) and the recoil spring plug kept coming lose too (fixed with the addition of a FLGR). Now on my Kimber, the front sight went dark, I've had some FTEs from switching to a heavier recoil spring. Just trying to make a point, that every company has its flaws, but these are such minor things that I really just overlook them, but overall you get what you pay for...