Springfield TRP or Baer Custom Carry?

mikikanazawa

$1250 for the Springfield, $1400 for the Baer. At these figures, the extra $150 for the Baer would be a non-issue. The intended purpose is primary defensive weapon (home, hotel and carry).

Any other 1911 choices in this range? The attributes I'm looking for are:

*California legal
*Durable finish (IIRC the Baer is blued)
*Checkered front and back straps
*Night sights

I "could" make my decision alone.... but it's more fun to share with my addiction support group!

RWK

I bought a Springfield TRP (ordnance blue steel with Armory Kote) several years ago and have been absolutely thrilled with its performance, both initially and continuously: VERY accurate, durable, reliable, and top-quality. I have not had a single failure with thousands of rounds fired. With this said -- and I have never owned one -- I respectfully suggest Baers are in a somewhat more "custom" category than TRPs, and their outstanding reputation is certainly well deserved.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The TRP is a fine production-line Springfield that has recieved a little extra hand attention before it went out the door, but it's fighting out of its weight class against the semicustom Baer. The Baer starts with an oversized frame and slide that are lapped to fit, and is MIM-free.

If the dollar difference doesn't bother you, go with the Baer. If the fragility of bluing worries you, stick with the Springer, or have the Baer coated for another C-note or so.

Seraph

Springfield Armory lists their Custom Carry at $1499, which I am sure is a ballpark estimate, because these are made to order, per your specs. Someone with simple tastes like mine might pay a little less. You ought to call them up and ask about it.

mikikanazawa

Thanks for the replies all.

Tamara brings up an interesting point about MIM components. I guess a major reason why I'm looking for a new "primary" 1911 is MIM. (Or rather, lack thereof, without having to spend $150 at Brownells to make it happen.)

Naturally, Davidson's has eight Springfield TRPs in stock and zero Custom Carrys.

Chui

Actually, the S-A TRP is CNC machined slightly oversized and is hand fit as well. Just got off of the phone with one of the Technical Representatives asking about the TRP Pro.

I think all of them are done the same way which is why one is not able to switch frames and slides on many (if not most) 1911 pistols today.