Springfield Scout Squad vs ??

Lohman446

Somewhere along the line I decided I NEED a .308 rifle (or a rifle in 7.62x51 MM that the manufacture supports firing .308 with). In this moment of NEED I have also decided I would greatly prefer it be a semi-automatic rifle. I would prefer a detachable magazine but want it to be a "basic" rifle (no pistol grip)

I have just started looking and am at a point where I'm not even sure what options I should be considering. Hence the post.

drobs

I have a Scout M1A. I find it to be the perfect size. Compared to the full length M1A, it's much easier to get in and out a pickup truck with.

You wouldn't think it mattered but there is a significantly less muzzle blast from the 18 inch scout barrel vs the 16 socom.

The muzzle brake on the Scout really has no purpose as the ports are straight up and down. I replaced it with a Springfield commercial flash hider.

Rockrivr1

Excluding the pistol grip significantly limits your options. Besides the SA Scout you could look at the Browning BAR, Ruger Mini-14, Remington 7400 or a Saiga 308 that hasn't been converted. If you have some extra cash laying around you could also look at a converted Garand in 308.

cliffhangernlv

I have a Savage scout. I don't notice any excessive muzzle blast. Yes, 308. The Springfield scout should make you a happy camper.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Targa

If the Scout interests you get it. I have never heard of anyone that actually owns a Scout or any of the M1a configurations for that matter, wish they didn't have it. They are very nice rifles.
Im with you on the pistol grip OP, I prefer straight stocks on my rifles as well, to each their own right.

SR420

18" is my favorite length barrel for the M14/M1A.

Replace the extractor with USGI, replace the muzzle device with a neutered GI flash hider, or an SEI Vortex that uses a castle nut. Be sure and use your original tall front sight. Dump the scout mount and replace it with a standard hand guard, or the scout hand guard rail imported from Canada.

If you want a pistol grip, look at an E2 or a Blackfeather "RS".

Tucker 1371

Love my Scout Squad, I've done all kinda of silly crap to it over the years though. Had it in a Blackfeather Stock, then a Juggernaut bull pup kit, now it's in an AG Composites CBR stock.

The Scout is an excellent rifle, stupid reliable, and very accurate. It is a tad on the heavy side but most Semi Auto .308s are. The only comparable thing I can think of that would be lighter is the SCAR 17s. If I had the coin I'd have one of those too.

Mobuck

If you're going to the expense, extra weight, and recoil of choosing a .308--don't emasculate it with a barrel shorter than 20". I could say a LOT more(about short barreled .308's) but maybe not worth the effort.

bamaranger

tanker or Shuff's Mini-G

Here's an idea. The Shuff's MiniG or a good tanker M-1 in .308 (bad ones abound). The M1 platform does not have a detachable box, but carries easier and is a sleeker looking rifle as a result. Shuff will fit a M14 box to his Mini-G's as well, ala BM59 (I think). He's got a website and price list.

As mentioned earlier, a full size Garand, worked over to reliably take .308, could be another option.

Coloradohtr

Take a look at the Springfield SOCOM II. Cost may be more than the Squad Scout though. However it sports a 16.25" barrel instead of the Scout's 18" barrel so it is a little shorter and it has rails for other goodies you can attach to it if you choose to do so. It is also heavier at 10 pounds compared to the Scout's 8.8 pounds.

Add a Burris TAC 30 1-4x24mm scope with the Burris Fast Fire 2 red dot mounted on top or off to the side so all you have to do is look over the scope or tilt the rifle to the side in order to use the red dot for close in work or just a simple EO Tech would do the trick.

Either way, if you go with the SOCOM II or the Scout, you will not be disappointed with the M1A platform. It has been combat proven since Vietnam and is still used today in our Military.

1stmar

Shuffs mini g is an excellent way to go. I second that he can add a scout mount if optics are desired. If you use a camp garand it will cost a little more than an sa but not much. His turn around time was good when I had mine done.

Quentin2

I'm quite fond of my Scout Squad, too. It's the perfect size M1A for me at least, and a great choice in a 7.62x51 semiauto. You can go with the traditional wood stock or a lightweight polymer stock and customize more from there. I chose FDE polymer and also bought a cheap M14 take off wood stock to have both options.

I also recommend a 308 AR. There are many brands (somewhat incompatible). I have a 16" AR-10A (the version that uses PMAGs). I'd hate to sell either one but if I could have only one, I'd keep the ArmaLite AR-10A mainly because of the ease of mounting optics, etc. to the top rail and because it shares so many AR-15 parts.

COSteve

As I trained on the M14 in basic a looooonnnng time ago, I'm quite fond of the platform. The .308s performance is matched with the 22" barrel of the standard M14/M1A. While I like to shoot my M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, my M1A holds a special place in my heart. Great fun to shoot and with NM sights, a 12" plate at 400yds is great to practice on.

My M1A and it's little brother, a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle:

20150618_105337_zpsv5bz0syz.jpg

Dirty_Harry

I love my Scout Squad. More accurate than my standard and handier. I cannot say anything bad about it except it's a little heavy.

mellow_c

I'm with drobs!

I have a Scout M1A. I find it to be the perfect size. Compared to the full length M1A, it's much easier to get in and out a pickup truck with.

You wouldn't think it mattered but there is a significantly less muzzle blast from the 18 inch scout barrel vs the 16 socom.

The muzzle brake on the Scout really has no purpose as the ports are straight up and down. I replaced it with a Springfield commercial flash hider.

I think if you want a regular rifle style semi auto 308, and you intend on using just the iron sights, and you only want one (Not a collection of different flavors) then you would be well served by a Scout Squad. I also agree about removing the longer muzzle brake for a simple commercial flash hider.

I honestly hope that's what you end up with:D

You can find some pretty good deals on them these days too. Just under $1400 online brand new if you search them out.

Despite my love of wood stocks and how they look on this rifle, the "plastic" stock that comes with this rifle is worth the weight reduction in my opinion. It is also a little slimmer than the wood stock, which I found I preferred after handling both.

Honestly, I don't know of any other rifle that meets your criteria in regards to a "Springfield Scout Squad vs. . ."

Last edited:

SR420

My Scout right before it went into the first of many SAGE EBR chassis stocks I've used.

This picture was taken in 2004. Bedded in Walnut with other NM mods.

img13.jpg