Springfield Question: Which to buy? Standard "Loaded", Trophy Match, or TRP

One

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I will be using mainly for PPC and IDPA. Mainly a range gun, very little carry. I want maximum accuracy and reliability. This gun will be shot alot. I don't have another 1911, this will be the only one, for now anyway.

Be Safe
Mike

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
It depends...

How much you want to spend.
If this is your first 1911 - I'll suggest the "Loaded" model.
If your one to be fond of the finer things in life... the TRP is indeed one of the absolute finest 1911s you can buy.
I'ld put my TRP up against an Ed Brown or Les Baer any day.

loknload

Which 1911

Not to long ago I purchased a Springfield Loaded V12. Great gun for the money. I wanted another 1911 since the only one I own is a WWII issue. The shop I frequent had a Loaded and the V12 that I bought. Seems well built, everything is tight and smooth. No complaints here :)
Hope this helps :)
Happy Shooting:)

Check out The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily

1911Ford

Like Mr. Hill said "How much you want to spend?"

None of the guns you picked would be my first choice.

In the low end 1911's I would take a Kimber Custom Classic with the Springfield "Loaded" model coming in a close second.

Now in the high end, even though Mr. Hill is fond of his TRP. I would suggest Wilson or Les Baer. Then Rock River Arms or Ed Brown. A good gun smith for a "true" custom 1911 is also anothr option.

Dr45ACP

I would tend to go with the "base" model (i.e., a Springfield Loaded or a Kimber Custom) and shoot it a lot, break it in, then send it to a gunsmith and get whatever work you want done to it.

This probably isnt the cheapest way to go, but it gives you a better chance, I think, of having a functionally reliable gun since you have shot it a lot before making a commitment to put a lot more money in it.

You may find, though, that you dont need to do much to a base Kimber or Springfield to have what you want. Find a dealer that has several of the model you decide on and look at them all, dry fire if he will let you, and pick one out with a nice trigger on it to start with.

F

faiello5

Buy the best one you can afford. If not, you will buy a lower end model and end up selling it when you upgrade, which you undoubtedly will do as you appear to have been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Regards,
Frank

mikey357

If it was me, I'd go with the Springfield Armory "Trophy Match"...I think it'll give you the best accuracy improvement OVER AN ENTRY LEVEL 1911 FOR THE MONEY. No, it probably won't shoot as well as the TRP...but it might. It probably WILL shoot better then the "Loaded"...and probably better'n a box-stock Kimber, too. A recent issue of "American Handgunner" profiled Springfield's Mil-Spec, "Loaded" and "Trophy Match"...based on that AND the Springfield's I've seen/owned, I'd go with the "Trophy Match"...just my two cents' worth....mikey357

WESHOOT2

If you're looking for an inexpensive 45 plesase give your most serious consisderation to the Kimber line.

Expect the highest owner satisfaction vs Springfield.

One

Thanks all for the responses. This will be a tough decision. I want a weapon that I will not feel the need to upgrade right away, after a few hundred rounds.

Be Safe
Mike

Tree Rat

I'll second WESHOOT with the Kimber recomendation....but if you must have the SA, then check out Petty's article in the NOV/DEC American Handgunner on the subject. Tree Rat.

mikey357

The last couple of posters have recommended the Kimber over the Springfield...I must [Humbly-!] disagree. I own one Springfield-a "pre-Loaded" Stainless 1911A1, and one Kimber-a Stainless "Target"-the standard "Classic" but with adjustable sights. Both have been excellent guns from the get-go...reliable, accurate and user-friendly. That being said, I STILL think that if I had your needs, I'd go with the Springfield Armory "Trophy Match". I say this because I believe it will be MORE ACCURATE than the Kimber-ANY "out-of-the-box" Kimber. I base this opinion on having fired several of the Kimber "Gold Match" variants AND two or three Springfield "Trophy Match" pieces...and handled/examined several more of each. The "Trophy Match's" ergonomics, IF its one that was made since they started marketing the "Loaded" features, will be equal to the Kimber, with TWO possible exceptions...first, the piece MAY need to be "dehorned" and, secondly, the trigger MAY need a little work...or, it may NOT. As usual, the opinions expressed herein, blah, blah, etc...Good Luck!....mikey357

dairycreek

I agree with "mikey". I own a number of Kimbers and two SA fully loaded 1911's. I really do like the SA's better than my Kimbers. Purely a personal choice but that's important as both are fine weapons.

One

And the winner is...........

Blued Springfield "Loaded". I decided that of all the guns I listed, there wasn't one that had a feature I didn't like. Rather than drop a load of cash on the Trophy or TRP, I decided to start w/ a base gun. So, my loaded now wears MMC Tritums, S&A magwell, and a whole lot of smoothing and polishing. I can't wait to run a few hundred rounds thru it today and tomorrow. I scored a nice Tac Pro holster at a decent price too. Thanks for all the help.

Be Safe
Mike

mikey357

ONE-congrats on your new purchase!!! Isn't it GREAT that you HAD a choice...for so long, Colt was the ONLY player!!! Bet we're ALL glad THAT changed...except Colt, of course!!! Let us know what your impressions are after the first range session with your new toy...and Good Luck!!!....mikey357

Flattop

One,

Good luck on your new purchase. I've been quitely following this thread because I'm interested in the comments you received. I'm waiting for my purchase permits to come through so I can buy a .45 caliber. As mikey357 said drop us a line and let us know how your Sringfield "Loaded" works out. The S/A Loaded has made my short list and I'd like your impression.

Flattop

One

Well, I made it to the range tonight, just barely. Managed to run 50rds thru the Springfield, but light was too low for accuracy work. The worst part was that when I went to install my nite sights, Brownell's stiffed me on my front sight. So I used the factory Novaks. I kept all 50rds in the size of a dinner plate at 15yds. I imagine once I get the MMCs on and dialed in, things will improve. Plus I need to get to reloading my own ammo. Just an aside, I'm not looking for a flame war, but the MMCs have tritium inserts by PT. I am a little leary of this fact, as all that I know have not had good luck w/ this brand. This lead to the decision to bag the MMC front sight in favor of a Mepro unit. The dots in the rear MMC aren't as bright a the Mepros on my other pistols. But as long as the front works, thats all that matters, right? I cannot comment on reliability of the Springfield w/ the factory mags, as they looked pretty cheesy, They were replaced by McCormick 8rds that functioned flawlessly. I choose these also because they have the pads on the bottom, as I installed a S&A magwell. Looking to fire another 200rds tomorrow.

Be Safe
Mike

mikey357

Well, Alrighty, Then!!! Sounds like a good beginning...and, FWIW, I've got Meprolight OR Trijicons on several of my babies...wouldn't even consider PT/IWI...based on them SHAFTING a good friend of mine who did a LOT of contracted-out machine work for 'em...no honor among thieves, or something like that....mikey357