Springfield P9 (CZ75 clone) trigger

Joe Chicago

I have a 1990s Springfield P9 (CZ75 clone) in 9mm which is generally well made, reliable and accurate. The trigger, however, is gritty. I took it to a gunsmith to have a trigger job done around six weeks ago and it was supposed to be done before today. I called and he had not even started because he was having trouble finding an after market hammer. I reminded him that I asked for a trigger job, which - to me - means polishing surfaces and maybe replacing a spring or two. He told me that to smooth both the single and double action trigger pulls he needed to replace the hammer. Note that when I dropped the pistol off there was no mention of replacing the hammer.

To the CZ75 owners out there, does this sound legit? Do you need to replace the hammer to sort out the trigger pull on the pistol? I am starting the wonder if this guy is scamming me.

Thanks for your help.

TunnelRat

I know when CZ custom does a trigger job they install their own hammer that has a different geometry. So it's possible.

Walt Sherrill

Sound legit? Not really, although that's probably the EASIEST thing for him to do... if he can find a hammer.

The Springfield P9 is really a "sort of" clone of the CZ design, built around Tanfoglio-made components, which are subtly different in a lot of ways from the CZ. If it weren't for that, I'd suggest some of the parts offered by the CZ Custom Shop. The Custom Shop might know if their parts are compatible, however, so a call or email there might not be a bad idea.

Little things like the width of the hammer are different, and they changed over time, too, so that a part that might fit an early model might not fit one made a couple of years later. (I found that this could be true of some CZ parts, too.)

I don't there's much in the way of after-market parts for these older, small-framed Tanfoglio guns, so finding a better hammer will be difficult -- and the gunsmith will probably still have to polish and tune the new hammer.

You might find that just going to a lighter hammer spring might do what you want, and that's something you COULD do yourself. You can get those from Wolff Springs. http://www.gunsprings.com Once you're on the site, do a SEARCH for "Trigger Job."

(There are pictures and instructions on the CZ Forum of how to do your own trigger job, and the design is so similar to the CZ that those pictures and guide will do the job. http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?PHPSESSID=bab060a739d17a9ddf96358b9b05b868&board=40.0

I think I'd ask for the gun back and find someone else to do the work.

Joe Chicago

I spoke with the gunsmith again today. He said that last time we spoke he thought my pistol was a CZ75, which would need the hammer. The P9 is not an identical CZ75 clone, and the trigger assembly is slightly different. All the pistol will need is some internal polishing.

hAkron

A Tanfoglio small frame Witness hammer will work if your smith decides to go that route, but I would imagine unless your hammer is bad for some reason, the only replacement hammer would be a single action only hammer.

Also, I heard recently that Springfield still services these guns under their lifetime warranty, so don't get too crazy with aftermarket parts.