Springfield "Operator"

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
There was a sale on Springfields..

Looked at one of these yesterday.. and I HATED it. What a way to screw up the natural balance of a 1911. grip frame is wider front to back, front end is heavy, even without a "tac light" or whatever on it.

I'd rather have a plain jane mil-spec one.

JIH

I kinda came to the same conclusion... if you wanna hang things off of your gun, go buy a HK or a Glock... that stuff just looks goofy on a 1911.

I understand the thought process... "Hey, let's get some of the 'tactical' market," but it's rather fugly and, like you noticed, it just doesn't balance the same.

WC15

My older brother wanted one so bad. I tried to tell him that unless he was planning go be on a SWAT team or a mall ninja there really was no need for that extra weight. He went with a Springfield XD that has the light rail on it. I tried to talk him out of the 750 loaded operator and he was dead set on it until I showed him the XD. I just cant see messing up a good design with "tactial" stamped on for an extra 100.00. Keep it simple.

SGT405

I guess I am the odd man out here. I just sent my Operator to Ted Yost for a variety of custom features along with inletting the slide and shortening the frame to match. Yes, I want a "tactical" 1911. I have Glocks with the new frame, Vertec, SW99,P99,Sig2340 all with integral rails. I want it a 1911 the same way. It is a1911 pattern firearm I carry. Does it alter the look? Sure. Does alter the balance, a little IMHO. But it fulfills the function for which it was intended.