Springfield Milspec 1911, numbers???

OsOk-308

So I just traded a guy for a Springfield 1911. I went and shot it, functions fantastically, I used to have another brand of 1911 (which will be withheld to protect this thread from brand wars) and the Springfield blew it out of the water. However, when I went home and cleaned it, I field stripped it. After removing the barrel from the slide, I noticed that there are numbers etched into the underside of the slide. It appears to have been done by hand so I am assuming that it is not a factory mark. Can anyone help me as to what these numbers are all about?

I can post pictures of it later. thank you for your time.

drail

It should be the last three digits of the serial number and is put on the slide to keep it mated to a frame when assembled at the factory. If yours don't match someone has replaced the slide.

Auto426

Those are factory marks. They are assembly numbers that are used to keep the frames and slides paired together during the manufacturing and assembly process. The numbers on the slide are usually electropenciled in by hand instead of stamped or laser etched.

RickB

I've owned three Springfield 1911s, and don't recall any numbers on the slide matching them to the frames. Is it a TRP, or custom shop gun?
If the gun was refinished or had some other work done on it, the number could have been applied at that time to keep the parts together.

Kreyzhorse

My Springfield TRP has them too. These are done as the pistol is being assembled. I don't mind them, but they certainly aren't pretty to look at.