Springfield M1A vs. Colt ARs

James Montes

If you had one choice and one choice only which would it be...
.308win M1A or .223rem AR...
Why?
Friend and I debating next purchase want some fellow rifle enthusiasts input. PLEASE.

------------------
SURE SHOT

Alan B

M1A I like the 30 cal bullet as it is good for any type of varmit two or four legged and hunting larger game. Thought the 20 round USGI M14 mags are getting expensive $35 and up for (you have to look for mags cheaper than $40). (so are the 20 and 30 rnd AR mags but not as expensive)

Some of the best I have seen for the money are USGI parts sets with Arms corps receivers. Springfield rifles (well some are junk and some are great) I bought one cause I wanted the "loaded" package and it shoots good but I have seen some springfield rifles that are really bad.

The AR is just too small a round for any thing larger than varmits (two or four legged ) or plinking. In the state I live in I dont think you can even hunt deer with one.

Drew

The main consideration is what the application would be for. For me, my number one priority is for defensive purposes, fun being the second. With that being said, I would opt for the AR-15.

I like the versatility of the AR. You can use it as a medium range target rifle or, with a swap of uppers, use it as a home defense carbine. You can get different calibers in .223 Rem, 7.62x39mm, .300 Whisper, 9mm Luger, and .22 LR (that I know of) if you are into that sort of thing.

However, the M1A is reputed as being one of the best rifles ever made. I don't disagree and I will eventually own one myself!