Springfield M1A / SOCOM: Worth The Price?

Single Six

Most guys have that one object that they want more than anything else, and what usually keeps them from realizing the dream is the expense involved. I have two such desires, one being a certain classic car. The other is a Springfield Armory M1A, or perhaps the SOCOM version. I certainly don't need one; but I've just always wanted one, and that's enough! If I got one, it would be stainless, with a synthetic stock. But the prices for these rifles are pretty far out of my budget. I go to the gun shows and handle those Springfield beauties, but I never make it past the four digit price tags. :(I guess that if I got serious, I could save up over a long period of time, and eventually pick one up. So, tell me, guys: Are these rifles worth the asking price?

thesheepdog

If it were me I would just get the loaded model. Heavier barrel, better accuracy and range.

But I do think they are overpriced. There is so much more out there for the price.

FrosSsT

The value of something depends on how much it is desired by you. The 1600 i paid for my Scout was worth every penny but that feeling may not shared by all

Last edited:

'88Scrat

I love my Scout! A SOCOM or a Scout was at the top of my list, as it turned out the Scout was marginally cheaper and since I was gonna drop into a Sage stock I didn't need all the tacticool features of it. I have never shot a SOCOM but I have seen both it and the Scout up close side by side. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong either way, though you might get marginally more range out of a Scout, and marginally even more out of a Standard.

misterE

Start saving now!!! I wanted one for a long time too and finally came up with the funds for it. Found a used standard loaded model with synthetic stock and stainless barrel for $1400. Best money I ever spent on a firearm. I'll never part with that rifle. It was actually one of my buddy's dad's rifles and I knew that it only had about 200 rounds through it and was well cared for. I don't have any experience with the scout or soon model, but my standard length loaded is a real shooter.

Single Six

Y'all might laugh at me for this, but if I ever get one, I have no intention of competing with it. I don't hunt, either. I seriously doubt I'd even scope it. The .308 is, to me, a bit much for HD. So, like I said...I don't NEED it....but MAN, do I WANT it!

geetarman

So, like I said...I don't NEED it....but MAN, do I WANT it!

There 'ya go!

I know I did not need mine, but I sure do not regret it. I too bought the loaded one with the VLTOR rail system and I did put a scope on it.

I have taken that off and just use the iron sights. It really is a great shooter.

bamaranger

same

I have had an itch for a SOCOM since they first hit the market. LGS called me with the first one in the area, then priced a tad over $1400. I went up, handled and fondled, but did not buy. The house, the family.......etc.

Just wasn't a good time. I have regretted it ever since.

Single Six

Bamaranger: I know all about regret, friend. I handled a drop-dead gorgeous SOCOM at the last gun show; all stainless steel finish [not just the barrel, but all of the metal parts] with a jaw-dropping wood stock. I didn't have anywhere near the $$$ required for it. I know that I walked past that thing at least 4 times, I just could NOT stop looking at it. But, it sold within an hour. I'm still in therapy over this.:(

Ben Towe

I was in the same boat, I drooled over them for years and then finally dropped the cash on a Scout Squad. It was super nice, beautiful wood and metal finish. But as I discovered, dreams aren't always what they seem. It was so nice and so expensive that I hated to even take it out and shoot it. So it hung on the wall for a year, being shot only rarely. I also discovered that whomever designed the magazine must have had an agenda for reducing the population, because if you have to reload under stress, it's a fine way to get shot. The latching system is absolutely idiotic, and you will not insert a mag with a closed bolt, it absolutely will not happen. And so I got rid of it and brought home a Carbon 15 and a Browning Auto 5 in it's place. The AR doesn't have the sex appeal of the Scout, but it and two hundred rounds of ammo is lighter than the Scout is empty, and I don't have to consult an engineer and smoke a cigarette to execute a magazine change.

SmokyBaer

SR420 said:
Pre-owned M1As are an excellent value.

My thoughts exactly. All mine are previously owned. New ones are no better than the older ones.
In fact, my lowest numbered one is by far the tightest and smoothest of the lot.

I'm not aware of SOCOMs or Scouts having a stainless barrel option. U may have to build it. :D