Springfield M1A forward scope mount - any good?

Battler

I just got a full-sized Loaded M1A and am looking at the scope mount options (and hearing what bad ones were out there).

Has anyone used the fore-grip Springfield scope mount? Is it any good?

If it works well, I prefer forward scopes; but I DO wonder whether or not it can be secured up there.

thanks,
Battler.

Tshoes

SA Mounts

battler, I don't think the forward mount will work on the full size M1A, it is set up for the bush model, and there are differences.
I suggest you buy a Brookfield Prcision mount, available through Wm. J. Ricca company, advertise in the SG News.
If you can't get one of these, go with a Smith Enterprises model, available from dillon Precision, or direct from Smith..........also advertise in SG News.
Stay away from the SA mounts, they are junk............:)

Gewehr98

Or get the other military-issued mount.

The ARMS #18, which tends to be available more often than Brookfield Precision's variant, at least for the time being. Same steel as the receiver, contacts the receiver in three locations, and sits LOW to the bore. (You can't use the iron sights with scope attached to the base, as a matter of fact). Last time I saw, they were going for as cheap as $129.00, and are also stocked by Fulton Armory. It's what I used. Not that the Smith mounts are bad, mind you, and the SA mounts are indeed junque!

m14nm.jpg

Badger Arms

The forward scope mount on the SA Scout Rifle is a bracket that clamps to the barrel. It is very easy to install and only requires the slotting of the upper handguard. It is very strong, stable, and versatile. The mount is rock-solid. I, too, like scout mounted scopes. I put a Weaver 2x pistol scope on my M-1A Scout rifle. It was quick in action and hits came much faster than a traditional scope and much more accurate than open sights. The biggest plus for me was an unobstructed loading port through the top of the rifle.

aa9122.jpg

aa9126.jpg

Courtesy of http://www.springfield-armory.com

Battler

Does the forward mount block the iron sights?

I am thinking of getting one (forward mount) and putting an Aimpoint 2X on it.

That, or same on a Smith mount.

Battler.

[Edited by Battler on 11-24-2000 at 01:15 PM]

Badger Arms

Yes, it does block the sights unless you use see-through rings. There really isn't a need to use the iron sights with the scout scope. I'd use the Springfield Armory mount if I had to do it over again.

Battler

I got a reply on another gun board that the scout scope mount does not fit the "standard" barrels, without turning the barrel on a lathe or modifying the mount.

This true?

Battler.