Springfield m1911's...Opinions??

RikWriter

I have never owned the Ultra Compact or the ported guns. I personally have had good reliability out of all the Springfields I have owned, but all have been the milspec model. I have talked to people who have had some very bad luck with the V-Series Springfields, but this is all second hand.

skdtac

nuclearglock,
all my first hand experience with standard springfields left me with one very strong impression- they all needed a good dehorning. if kimber has one thing down good, it's that you can't cut up your hands on the edges of their slides and frames. the springfields' edges are very sharp. while i wouldn't purchase a ported gun for defense (fodder for a separate thread), if you liked the springfield and it was reliable and accuarate in your hands, i'd take it to a smith and have him dehorn the gun for you. do a couple malfunction clearance drills without a dehorn job, and you'll have automatically transitioned yourself into a bloody hands drill. my two cents.

best,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Ned Roundtree

No first hand experience. A shooting buddy of mine, traded his in. Didn't like the recoil. Which seems unusual from a ported gun. But I have never shot myself. I had a Combat Commander, a little larger, that was great to shoot.

Steve Smith

My wife chose the Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 for her carry gun. She's small, but still finds it comfortable to shoot. I have no complaints about "sharpness" on my SA, but I work with my hands, so I guess I don't notice. My wife hasn't complained, and she has very soft hands. Reliability could not be better.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The Ugly is that chopped 1911s no longer have the same clean gracfull balanced look...
They lose energy...
they... Hmmm...

Thats about it.

skdtac

hi front sight,
i mistakenly asked a question on the g30/v10/elite thread that should've been asked here. i'll paste it again:

btw, regarding springfields, you have no problems with the edges when doing full speed clearance drills under stress? not that i don't work with my hands, but i found it to be uncomfortable to say the least
:)

best regards,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Steve Smith

skdtac, I must admit, I've got some pretty ugly and callussed hands. I saw a guy almost cut himself on the slide serrations of my SA, so
I guess they really are sharp, but I can't reel it that much.

Arnistador

I shoot a Springfield 1911 and I have to agree, it's got lots of sharp edges. Looks and shoots great, but a good dehorn is in order.

However, it does not keep me from being able to perform malfunction and immediate action drills; it just makes it a bit more uncomfortable.

Other than that, it shoots and performs great without any malfunctions after break-in.

Tim http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

Fusternc

I just purchased a brand new Springfield Stainless fullsize 1911 .45 (model PX9151). Have only put 180 rounds through it, all were my reloads. This thing shoots exceptionally well. I did not have a single malfunction using 230gr FMJ reloads. Surprisingly, I shot it alot more accurate than my Sig P220 .45 that I have been shooting for 1 year now! I was getting groups of like 2 - 2.5" at 25 yards off hand, and I am FAR from a professional shooter. The fit of the gun is VERY tight. There is NO detectable movement in the slide to frame fit either vertically or horizontally. It really is a nice looking pistol to look at and shoot. The things that I don't particularly like (personal preference) are:
-The Novak sights with NO painted markings
-The cocobolo hand grips are tough on my hands during the sharp recoil.
-And finally as others have mentioned, the slide is VERY sharp. I have no doubt that you COULD cut yourself on this gun if you weren't careful.

With that said, I don't regret one bit buying this pistol, as it presents a VERY nice setup both in reliability, accuracy, and looks for the price $580 plus tax. I'm sure the custom 1911's are nicer, but personally, I just couldn't justify spending 3 times what this gun cost, on a custom model when this one works so well.

Nathan...

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, sir. I can only answer tangentially as I've never owned the specific model Springfield you mention. I have owned their Mil-Spec gun and it worked fine and was reliable as is the Lightweight Gov't Model in .45acp that I currently own. Unlike some, I've had no problems whatsoever with Springfield 1911s and have found them to be satisfactorily accurate as well. Having said that, my Kimber Classic .45 groups just a bit tighter than either of my Springfields. Best.

motorep

I have a stainless V10 Ultra Compact, that I've carried for a little over 2 years, this is what I usually carry in the summer. This one and another that came in the same shipment shot very low at 25 yards - about 9-10 inches, as I recall. Thje trigger was the same as most factory 1911s- heavy and gritty. My gunsmith shimmed the rear sight- there's really not enough material to trim the front- and did a trigger job on it. this is a very nice pistol, easy to carry, easy to shoot. I use 230 HydraShoks- very controllable.

BrokenArrow

They are probably the best 1911s.

OTOH, I shot four (two TRPs, a Basic loaded, and a mil-spec) this year that were jamamatics out of the box and loooong after any reasonable break in period.

**** happens. Will it happen to you? :)

------------------
>>>>---->

SA Scott

I bought a V-10 for carry about a year ago pre-"loaded". The edges were sharp, bullet drop was dramatic, and I've had feeding problems. Springfield indicated insufficient break-in. After 750 rds and no improvement, I had a non-ported ramped/throated barrel installed locally-fixed bullet drop, but not ftf. Apparently, the frame cut below the feed ramp was too sharp, and rounds were hanging up on it before chambering. I'm going to have that fixed and we'll see.