Springfield M14 Value

David R

I am looking at an M14 (M1A?) with National match sights, a (THE) scope mount, air guaged 2 groove barrel, Flash supressor installed and all. Nice looking gun, new condition. 5 mags, 800 rounds ammo.

What is it worth? I can answer more questions today, the gun is at work.

Probably going to be tested at lunch time.

Help, I think I like it.

I had an M1 Garand but did not like it. Too much gun.

I will be shooting a 100 yard off hand match with it tomorrow.

Pictures later today.

I looked on Gunbroker. Not educated enough on these rifles.

David

David R

20150619_082007-XL.jpg

20150619_082052-L.jpg

20150619_082219-L.jpg

20150619_082105-L.jpg

20150619_082235-L.jpg

Lurch37

Well you didn't give the manufacturer but around here, if you ever see a used one, which is rare, and its a Springfield Armory, they are easily around $1000 at the very minimum. Add in your ammo at a conservative price of .50 cents a round and that adds another $400, unless it's really crappy stuff. If the mags are factory those are normally in the $30-$40 a piece range.

New M1A's from Springfield are $1400 on up to $3000.

David R

Thank you

I found the same gun new for 3100 with a quality scope. Thank you. I shot it today at lunch time. I have always been a bolt action guy, so its different. I am going to shoot it in the match tomorrow then decide.

David

T. O'Heir

1024 x 576 is too big.
It's an M1A 'Loaded', not an M-14. An M-14 is select fire and evil according to the ATF. Runs between a grand and roughly 2 grand without the scope and extra mags on Gunbroker.

Chris_B

Dave, nice rifle.

But RE: the M1 being "too much gun". I would like to mention to you that the M14/M1A is essentially a "process-improved" outgrowth of the M1 rifle, and it shoots a cartridge which can be described as generally similar, with similar muzzle velocities. I'm confused as to how the M1 presented that problem but this rifle doesn't. :confused:

highpower3006

M1A's are very soft shooting and make great range/target rifles. I have an early "golden age" M1A that I wouldn't get rid of for twice it's real world value.

1024 x 576 is too big.

Are you the same guy from Canada that has troubles with picture size on the THR forums???

I ask because I have an older computer and have no trouble with the size of the OP's pictures. Just for grins, I opened the thread on my Iphone and my taplet and the pic size is fine on both of them. You must have a VERY weird computer or browser.

David R

Not buying it

I shot the match this morning. I fired 5 sighters, went down 2 clicks.
On my first 10, I had 3 bulls eyes (1") and the rest scattered in the scoring area for a 216 out of 250.

Next 10 were better except the one off the scoring rings, but on the paper. Score 204. Total score 420. My regular average score 450ish.

I usually shoot a savage model 25 lightweight varmint in 223 with less than 2 lb trigger and 18x scope and thumbhole stock.

I put a scale on the M1A trigger, at 72 ounces the max I gave it a little push with my finger and it went click.

After the match, I shot my 17 cal target rifle 5 rounds off a rest at 100 yards. Then I shot the M1A off the same rest at the same target.

17 was about an inch, 30 cal holes were about 2.5" in a real group.

I did the same at 200 yards. The 17 shot about a 2" group. The 308 had 3 shots on the top of the target about 6" across.

These were shot with a tasco 4x scope on the mount at both distances.

I am not buying it.

You folks are a big help

Yes, its US Rifle M1A
Springfield Armory
NOT a 2 groove barrel.

I cleaned the bore tonight and it looked perfect. The rifle came with some "match" handloads with moly coated 168gr BTHP. Those are what I shot.

I have a bruised shoulder after about 100 rounds in a couple days.
308 + Metal butt plate hurts.
Its the same with the M1 Garand, except I had that when I was raising children and could not afford to shoot it.

I'll keep my bolt action 223 or 17.

I did learn at the match to keep my elbow up so the gun does not jump off my shoulder. I enjoyed shooting iron sights.

Thanks
David

David R

Update with photos

I cleaned the bore. It looked great, so I went to wally world and bought 4 boxes of cheap FMJ $9.99 a box of 20.

I went to a 50 yard range and shot these targets open sights from a rest. 6 O'clock hold on both targets
20150621_113406-L.jpg

20150621_113349-L.jpg

This was the best target of the day for this gun.

Next I put a different scope of better quality with 9x and shot more targets at 50 yards.

20150621_113355-L.jpg

20150621_113401-L.jpg

The plan was shoot 50 yards to get the new scope set before going to the longer range. after these targets, I put it in the truck and shot my Remington 700VL in 22-250 off hand at 300 yards. I scored a 91.

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe I can't shoot this gun, but its not for me. I replaced the ammo I shot trying out the gun.

David

Last edited: