Springfield Loaded - Stainless or Blue

Pilot

Hello all. I am contemplating getting another 1911 (already have an older stainless Springfield Milspec) and have decided on a Springfield Loaded model. My local dealer has one in blue and one in stainless. There is only $20 difference between the two. I like the looks of the stainless better, but originally wanted the classic look of the blued. Which is better for overall function and durability. This will be mostly a range gune with occasional carry in the field. Thanks.

Pilot

mikey357

Only $20.00 diff in price??? That's a no-brainer--go Stainless!!! Run, do not walk, to the dealer and buy the Stainless!!! Yes, I know that blued handguns look more..."classy", but...Stainless is just so much more PRACTICAL!!!....mikey357

Voltaire

Sounds like you are leaning stainless, I'd advise you to go with it. Mikey is right, $20 difference between the blued and stainless is a great deal, assuming the blued model is priced reasonably.

I saw a NIB loaded full-size blued Springfield for sale last weekend, the price was $509. I opted for the loaded lightweight compact model (Officer's frame with a Commander slide) rather than the full-size one, and I'm very impressed with the quality and value of the gun.

hipwr40

I'd go stainless as well. I had a blued loaded SA fullsize and loved it...except that the blueing was very "delicate". Had to be oh so careful when field stripping it for cleaning or it would scratch just like that.

If mine had been stainless I'd still have it.

riverdog

always the contrarian...

I'd get the one in Blue and then I'd have it dehorned and Parkerized.

But if you insist on stainless, at least have the exterior sand blasted so its not so shiny.

Pilot

Well here's the pricing from the local dealer on the Springfield Loaded:

Parkerized: $549

Blued: $579

Stainless: $599

Are these prices a bit high?

Pilot

JiminCA

Is it the old loaded or the new one?

I'd hold out for the new one, as it has all the stuff you're going to want to fix. Dovetailed front sight, adjustable trigger, dehorned, stainless one piece barrel, even night sights on some models!

Only drawback IMO to the new one is the mainspring housing lock. Decide for yourself but it is easy and cheap to replace.

I'm currently getting all this taken care of on my old Loaded and it is costing a lot more than if I had waited!

With all that said I'd go stainless for 20 bux. I'm kinda partial to Parkerized 1911's also - just looks functional!

Oh yeah, check out his stock and pick the best one. Fit varies from gun to gun. Accuracy is primarily determined by slide to barrel fit/lockup. Slide to frame fit is secondary but I prefer a "tighter" gun. Triggers vary from gun to gun too.

F

faiello5

JiminCA is right on. If it is the 2001 model, that is a fair price. If it is the older 2000 model, that price is too high. I have seen the blue/parks going in the high 400's on a couple of the auction boards. Good luck.

Regards,
Frank

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Get it dehorned and parkerized?

Why buy a new gun to get it refinished? You can dehorn the stainless and DONE.
I love stainless - I'll make no appology for it. But I do like a well blued pistol as well... and in a case with only a 20 dollar difference - You could go either way... depending on your prefrence and have no guilty conscience.

(but i would go stainless - because I love stainless!!!)

Gino

I've got to echo riverdog about the stainless being TOO shiney. IMHO, they slicked the finish up just a little too much. But then I'm lusting after a parkerized model myself...

Pilot

They are "Old" Loaded prices

The prices I quoted earlier are for the Old Loaded model and from what I'm hearing, they seem high. Figures, the dealers around me are all smoking something when it comes to prices.

Pilot

Voltaire

I agree that the price of the blued Loaded is high, but the price of the stainless isn't so bad. Last week I saw stainless, full-size Loaded guns for $600 and $570, they were the 'old' model, too.

One thing I am learning as the years go by is that my <b>time</b> is worth quite a lot. I used to be very concerned about getting the best price regardless of the amount of time I spent finding it. I am now more inclined to accept the first decent price I find even if it's not the absolute lowest price around.

I think that $599 is a fair price for the gun, even though you could probably find a better price by spending a whole day driving around and looking at the competition. You may save $30 or $40, but you've lost a whole day! Better price, but not a better deal in my opinion.

brianidaho

I've seen comments about the SA 2-piece barrel, where do the parts come together and how are they joined? I hadn't realized this changed as well on the 2001. What are the new models selling for? Has anyone shot one and how does the accuracy compare with the old ones?

Thanks.
Bri

Son of HK

Kimber. Well, Springfields aren't bad by any means. I just like Kimber a little better. If it's springfield, go champion, definitely stainless.