Springfield Loaded reliable?

TMackey

I am looking to get my first 1911. I have absolutely no experience with these pistols but have wanted one for years.

I have my eye on a 4" stainless Springfield loaded. I want this pistol. :D

Are they reliable out of the box? I don't want something I'll have to have worked on to make it reliable. I have no plans for any upgrades. It will remain stock. I just want it to shoot whenever the trigger is pulled.

So, will I be happy with this pistol or should I look for something more reliable?

txstang84

Based on what I've read, I'd have to say yes, but I'm sorry to say I don't have any practical experience. Even if it has an issue, you can send it to SA and it I'm sure they could hook it up. :D

KyJim

The Springfield Loaded has an excellent reputation. I have a full size and it has been very reliable.

DBAR

I was very happy with the function of the one I had. The only complaint I had about it was the sharp edges.

Kreyzhorse

The Loaded has a great reputation as does Springfield. I own a TRP that has been 100% out of the box. Not a single FTF or FTE and I expect that you'll get the same performance out of the Loaded.

tdgator

Sounds like you are looking at the same one I am. From all the research I have done, it looks like they are well thought of and reliable.

whippoorwill

I had a Springfield Champion Loaded. Nice looking, felt good, and functioned perfectly. It would, however, not group well. I traded it in and got a KImber CDP Ultra that also functioned flawlessly AND produced awesome groups. The difference in my groups between the two pistols was such that I don't think I can blame myself. In other word, I didn't suddenly become an awesome shot when I traded the Champion.

I'm willing to bet that I just happened to get one that didn't shoot as straight as I had hoped, and I wouldn't hesitate trying another Springfield.

drail

With any brand there are good one and not so good ones. I have had very good luck with Springfield Armory but occasionally a poor one slips out the shipping door. They will fix it. I have seen very few bad ones from SA. A 4 inch is more prone to be problematic from any maker.

TMackey

Yeah I understand a bad one of anything getting out the door occasionally.

This is alot of money for me to spend on a gun, so I just wanted to know if there are any inherent problems with it.

I've read enough to know that the shorter barrels are more prone to malfunctions so I thought the 4" would be a compromise since I really wanted the 3" model. :(

bdb benzino

I got a used loaded recently and the second magazine I shot out of it I grouped better than I do with my other 2 1911's. It is a full size but I love the way it shoots!!!!

DAVE RICHHARDS

I've owned four Springfield Loadeds. All worked well. One needed the extractor tuned. As a whole they've worked the best out of the box of the dozen or so 1911's I've owned. Even my Ultra Compact (Officers sized) is a winner.

denfoote

21shotsalute003small.bmp.jpg

7 year old Springfield Loaded. (note: blue finish no longer offered)

21shotsalute005small.bmp.jpg

It's never gone bonkers on me yet!! :D

ChicagoTex

My father bought a 5" stainless Springfield "Loaded" back before they were offering them with dovetailed front sights. It had three very specific problems, all with simple solutions:

1. The novak rear sight was prone to coming loose under recoil every 3 or 4 mags, applying some loc-tite to the allen set screw remedied this problem permanently.
2. The two-piece full-length guide rod came loose every 5-6 mags or so due to it's coarse threading, it was replaced with another two-piece unit from brownells for somewhere between $20-$30, problem solved.
3. The 7-round magazines it came with were prone to jamming fairly frequently, my father bought a Wilson #47D 8 rounder a month for four months, it has never malfunctioned since he switched to the Wilson mags.
(as an aside, for curiousity's sake, we tried his jam-o-matic 7-rounders on my Dan Wesson CBOB, which has been rock-solid reliable with both the DW mags and the Wilson mags - it jammed on the second magful.)

Once these issues were cleared it has been totally reliable and reasonably accurate (it wouldn't step it with a Wilson Combat or even my CBOB, but accuracy is well in line with my Glocks, Berettas, and SIGs).

As an aside, while my CBOB is undeniably tighter and much more precisely fit than his Springer Loaded, the action on his is wonderfully smooth - moreso than my CBOB.

Kreyzhorse

2. The two-piece full-length guide rod came loose every 5-6 mags or so due to it's coarse threading, it was replaced with another two-piece unit from brownells for somewhere between $20-$30, problem solved.

My TRP had the same issue. I wasn't a big fan of the FLGR and replaced it with an Ed Brown GI plug and rod and haven't looked back.

ChicagoTex

replaced it with an Ed Brown GI plug and rod and haven't looked back.

I tried to convince my father to go that direction, explaining repeatedly and from numerous angles that the full-length guide rod is superfluous to the 1911 design, but he was steadfast in his insistence that if it came from the factory that way, a FLGR was somehow necessary to ensure proper function:rolleyes:.

Cloudpeak

You're looking at the Champion and, if new, it comes with a dual captured recoil spring. Older models at one time had a single spring setup. As per Springfield, the dual captured recoil springs will last considerably longer than a single spring setup.

As to being 100% out of the box, no matter what make of pistol you buy, there are no guarantees. So, buying from a company that has a good reputation for customer service is important. Springfield (along with Smith, Dan Wesson & STI) have good reputations.

I had a LW Champion and it was a great pistol after some initial teething problems. I sent it back because there was a problem with the plunger tube assembly (slide stop/thumb safety) and it had a 10.5# trigger pull. It also had occasional three point jams. Part of the jam problem was due to the design of the 200gr SWC I was using. The other was due to too much tension on the extractor and this seems like a problem that's common to lots of 1911's. I still had feed problems (although considerably fewer) when the pistol was returned from Springfield but changed bullet design (Lyman 200gr SWC) and lessened extractor tension and it was 100% after that. The turn around time and C.S. from Springfield was outstanding and they pay freight both ways.

I sold the pistol due to the way it was shaped at the trigger guard/grip intersection and bought a Dan Wesson CBOB which has an "upcut" in this area and a higher cut grip safety. STI Trojan's also have this feature and, due to some "hand problems" these two pistols are more comfortable for me. These features also allow a little higher grip which I find to be an advantage. Had I owned the stainless version of the Champion, I would have milled a relief on the trigger guard and kept the pistol. But, due to my Champ having an aluminum frame, I would have had to send it back and had Springfield make the change and it was cheaper to sell the Champ and buy a CBOB.

The stainless Champion is a good looking pistol and I like the 4 to 4 1/4" barreled 1911's. I think you'd be happy with the pistol. But, if you can pry loose some more bucks, you might look at the CBOB (or STI) as the quality/fit & finish is better. The CBOB has a "G.I" guide rod setup and I do like this feature. (The STI shorter barrel 1911 comes with a dual spring setup, the 5" Trojan, with a single spring/full length guide rod). I like being able to change spring rates easily (for shooting reduced loads), so the G.I. spring setup gets the nod for this.

ejfalvo

I have the 4in Loaded Operator and it was my first 1911. From my perspective it is very reliable. I have put ~450 rounds of various ammo thru it with no issues/hang up at all. VERY accurate - better than my XD-45 Compact.