Springfield GI

10-96

I just got my SA GI A1 off lay-a-way. Haven't shot it yet, but that's OK for now- I'll remedy that in a week or so. I've owned a number of 1911's over the years- always looking for... well, that feeling I had when Uncle Sam let me carry his before he took it away and subjected us to the Beretta. Through 2 different duty stations and MP School, I only really got to know 3 different 1911's. They all shook and rattled like a hot rockabilly band on a Saturday night. But I loved every one. We weren't taught much in the way of marksmanship in the mid to late 80's- It was pretty much a matter of "This is your qualification, put at least 36 holes in that piece of paper over there." We learned quick or stood there and took the embarassment and verbal abuse that came with the offending FTQ. Once was enough for me.
Other 1911's I've had since then were a Llama (dang fine one- wish I still had it), a SA Champion that refused to run even 50% of the time, a Para Ord that wan't much better, a Colt Series 80 that was alright (but had the stuff that made it a 80 instead of a 70), and a match type thing made on a Brolin frame and slide. Now that Brolin was a great pistol- only reason I got shuck of it was either ignorance or it wan't like Uncle Sam's. Either way, that was a fine piece of equipment and I miss it. Getting talked out of that one was what set in stone my philosophy that I would not part with another firearm unless it was pure junk or held no attachment for me.
Anyhow, when I got home with this new one- I was tickled to the bone. It has no Series 80 type stuff, it has what I assume is a lock in the back strap, and the plastic grips seem softer that the old GI one's, and the hammer has milled lines instead of checkering, and I think there is a slight difference in the grip safety (thicker in the beavertail?). Other than that- it has the small ejection opening, wonderfully small and unforgiving sights, standard small slide release and safety lever, familiar feel and heft. I love it all, it has 'that feel'.
I know things get dirty and messy in the manufacturing of things. But cleaning this firearm- well, I couldn't do it with my usual modern store bought stuff. I broke out the silver can of "Cleaning Compound, Rifle Bore" and 2oz bottle of LSA. Now, my new treasure not only looks and feels right- but she 'smells' right too. If I find she doesn't load, fire, eject, and reload itself properly- I will sink funds into it and make it so. That's OK because this one is a keeper... it has that feel and smell. A lot of memories are brought back by feels and smells. How many of you still remember that smell of GI canvas, ponchos, that smell of a fired rifle or MG that a Rem, Savage, CZ, or Howa just can't match? I remember my helmet had a smell in it that was all it's own. It wasn't bad- I kept a picture of my wife (ex) in there and just trying to be a little closer to her and to forget about Iraq for a little bit I guess is how I come to get familiar with that smell. Some are good and some are bad just like some conjur good memories and some bad. I hope I don't forget much over the years if the Lord lets me have many of them, cause I am proud of what I was, where I went, and what I done even though it cost me a home and family.

hdawson228

I bght a new SA "GI" two years ago in stainless. Had four or five failures in the first hundred or so rounds. Eventually, I sent it to SA to have the ejection port enlarged and beveled, addition of the Milspec three dot sights and the trigger tuned to 3.5 lbs. SWEET. I love it and it functions absolutely perfect. I also have the SA XD9 SC which is also flawless and I just bght the Kahr CW9 for concealed carry.

I just don't understand holes in triggers and hammers and fancied up texturres all over the piece.

Congrats on your new bud. :cool:

kristop64089

My brother just got his first 1911, a NIB WWII GI Milspec(their nomenclature, not mine).

Any how, tookit to the range, and the thing fired/fed perfect, and was quite accurate. I really like the gun, and wouldn't mind having one. He is all about beefing it up, but, IMO I'd buy another for that. These SA GI's have such a simple and pure, beauty.

Ivory Grips

hdawson228

Wow! Your post took me back some years, back to when I was stationed overseaa in '65. I recall being issued a 1911 and (yikes) having to go qualify with it. Man that was a joke, because up until then I never shot a handgun before. Like you, when I got back to the states I bought me a series 70, and later on a Commander model. They were ok guns, but heck I still couldn't shoot either of them worth a damn. Many years later I bought a Charles Daley 1911 and damn, that thing was a shooter. I sold/traded them off for god only knows why. Well, I plan on getting me a Springfield G.I. model too. I plan on keeping her box stock, well mostly. Maybe hang some ivory grips on it.<wink>

CDH

I was one of very few non-Coms in my Reserve unit (1970), and because it was a "paperwork" unit full of officers, our armory consisted of mostly .45's.

And as a grunt, I was kept out of people's hair by being made the units "official" armorer, so my 2 day a month duty was to clean, handle and do minor service on about 100 1911's.
Then for summer camp, I was in charge of getting everyone qualified, and it was also my job to "get rid" of excess ammo toward the end by blasting it through the pistols on the range.

Kind of like dying and going to heaven for a kid in his 20's. ;)

blume357

worse problem you might have with the Springfield is the trigger

both of mine were pretty tight when I first got them. that's the bad news... the good is that will smooth itself out after about 500 rounds.

Smaug

I'm thinking of a 1911 for my next gun

I really like the look of the GI. But if it doesn't feed hollow points reliably or eject reliably, it is no good. I'll be curious to hear if the GI will feed & eject HPs properly.

I think the next upgrade is what they call a "Mil Spec?" That one has the flared & lowered ejection port, but will it feed HPs?

Trying to find a good reliable 1911 for under $700. I can't imagine why they're so expensive. There are so many of them made, it HAS to make them cheaper to make.

kristop64089

Mil-Specs will normally feed JHP fine(mine did).

If you want an Excellent inexpensive Mil-Spec, check out RIA's. I just picked one up, and while not as refined as the more costly guns, it looks to be quite the shooter.

kraigwy

Wow, you guys are talking something dear to my hearts. 1911s, real ones.

I have no ideal how many I've had over the years. I started out as a kid playing with my fathers. When he came back from WWII they were selling them to GIs for $15, including the pistol, belt, holster and mag pouch with two mags.

I went to MP AIT in '66. Though I'm more of a rifle shootier, I did beter qualifying with the M1911a1 then I did with the M14 in basic. I screwed up in AIT and got to spend a week in cleaning every dern 1911 in MP school. Leared to field strip those puppies then.

I went Vietnam where I transfered to the Infantry. I carried a M60 for a good part of the time so I also had a 1911. I was a scrawny sucker so a few times I got VOLENTEERED to crawl down some dark nasty tunnel looking for people who really didn't want me to be there. Thats where I really got to love and trust the 1911, muddy and dripping with water and slime, it always worked. Saved my hide more then once.

First chance I got after I got out of the army I bought a USGI 1911a1 which I still have.

Later in life I was running the marksmanship unit for the Alaska nation guard. Besides our composite bullseye pistol teams, I was responsible for training the unit combat teams. I ordered and recieved 4 1911a1 service grade pistols for each BN and Seperate company plus 10 pistols for the State Combat team. So I'm setting on about 40 1911s. I took the whole bunch to the range, taking them apart and switching this and that until I had my 1911 so it would shoot dern near as good as our Match Hard ballers, and talk about reliable, you cant make that sucker jam no matter what you fed it.

At the time I was with the Anchorage Police Dept. The last couple years they decided to let us carry autos, So I gets a Hoyt Holster for my 1911a1 and was in business. Only had one problem with my 1911. During qualifications, we had to practice clearing jams, To do that you had to get the pistol to jam. We had to manuely set up jams because the pistol wouldnt.

I admit, I did choose to go back to my Model 28 Smith. Anchorage has a lot of moose car accidents and we were often required to put down injured moose. I felt more comfortable with the 357 when it came to shooting moose.

I have no ideal how many 45s I've had, Mostly Colts, commanders, Seires 70s and my Series 70 Gold cup I set up for hard ball in bullseye matches. I'm down to two now, my Gold Cup and the 1911a1 I mentioned above. Both are still great shooters. The first picture is my Bullseye guns with the Gold Cup, the second in my 1911a1, and then my 1911 in a holseter an old retired AK State Trooper made me when I retired from APD.

2700.jpg

1911a1.jpg

45%20holster.jpg

WESHOOT2

my calendar says "2008"

While I admire nostalgia pieces, I wonder what car gets driven daily; the Model T or the Honda Accord?

My guns reflect what I constantly strive to determine; the best possible defense tool.

That said, I own three Springfield Armory 5" 1911s (but none remain remotely close to 'from the box').
They are all most decidedly "real ones".

hdawson228

Smaug. No problem with a SA 1911 shooting JHPs. Mine will run all day with all kinds of ammo. Don't know where you got your doubts. Highly reliable and very accurate. The MillSpec is probably the best/value choice.

Someone posted a question about pricing. With such continueing high demand for the 1911, there is no reason to sell them cheap. And if a manufacurer has to cut price, what else may they cut?:cool:

WESHOOT2

from Springfield?

Disagree: I suggest their verybest "best/value choice" choice is the TRP.

I am 'aware' of the lower-end models having issues with reliable function, fitment, accuracy, and following blueprints.

I am not pooping on them (I own three 5" choices from Springfield Armory): I am pointing out my opinion of "best value", and reality.

hdawson228

Weshoot. I don't consider ANY SA 1911 as low end. Mine is essentially the "GI" model. During the first hundred or so rounds there were maybe four or five failure to battery completely. Now with about 1200 rds, not a single hiccup. fit and finish of my stainless "GI" is excellent. I did eventually have SA enlarge and bevel the ejection port, add the MilSpec three dot sights AND tune the trigger to 3.5 lbs. Not being a competive shooter (except with myself), I could not ask for better. :cool:

10-96

I don't understand the term "Milspec 3 dot sights". Is that based on what the gov't thinks they ought to be or should have been on the old issue 1911's, what they're putting on the newly issued .45's, or what? What makes them 'milspec'? The size, shape, material, hardness, dots? Wonder why J.M. Browning didn't think of putting dots on sights? Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to spend a day discussing shooting, building, and such with folks who did the shooting and building a century ago?

WESHOOT2

why?

The BMW value/performance ratio sucks (up here on my dirt roads and muddy ruts and rocky trails).

IME very quiet, though. Excellent steering feel.

OP: Buy a cheap GI-thingie for its 'looks'.
Then, IF REQUIRED, send it somewhere to get it functioning the way you wish.