Springfield Custom Shop

gbclarkson

I am considering a trigger job for my XDm, 9mm, to take some weight out of the pull. Springfield's custom shop charges $195 for a "competition action job" and $145 for a "combat action job". Combat action job means... what? Combat is a 4 - 5.5lb pull while a competition modification is 3 - 5 lbs, right? I am an occasional, recreational, shooter and I am sure that their in-house work would suit my needs, but are there other gunsmiths I should be looking at? Would other 'smiths void the factory warranty? Any experience with Springfield Armory's custom shop?

I am also considering IDPA. Would a non-stock trigger violate IDPA rules?

Thanks for the responses.

Geoff

Jagrbomb

I would stick with the Custom Shop. If you ever wanna sell the gun - people will respect work done by Springfield Custom - as opposed to Bubba or some other unknown smith.

Shotgun Slim

I believe a non stock trigger does violate IDPA rules. I have installed several Powder River Precision trigger kits in XDms which come with their trigger,however PRP claims that their trigger is used by Springfield and has an OEM part number so therefore is legal for IDPA. PRP and Springer Precision both offer kits which are reasonably easy to install and do a very nice job of lightening and cleaning up the trigger pull and reset. Springer has a different system which is all internal so there are no "visible modifications" to worry about.

GaryWWhite

I had my TRP Springer tuned by the factory with a 3.5 lb pull. I will use this in IDPA. I believe you get what you paid for and I know my gun will be safe and marketable if I ever sell it.

gbclarkson

PRP and Springer Precision both offer kits which are reasonably easy to install and do a very nice job of lightening and cleaning up the trigger pull and reset.

I should have included in the OP that I am a nearly inept DYIer. How easy is "reasonably easy"?

Maverick36

I just put a PRP drop in trigger in my 9mm XDm. It was very easy following the PRP youtube video . Mine was truely "drop in" , no fitting needed , just swapping parts.