Springfield Arms 1911A1?

Richard

What do our contributors know about a new model Springfield Arms 1911A1? The pistol is a Government Model with a flat finish, beavertail, Novak sights, extended safety and slide release, solid recoil spring rod, and checkered cocobolo grips. I saw one Saturday and was very impressed. The pistol I examined had a very decent trigger pull. What say ye? Regards, Richard.

Steve Smith

I guess you're actually talking about a Springfield Armory? If so, then they're great guns. I have several. What they lack in smooth edges, they make up for in reliability and excellent customer service.

Eric of IN

Very good gun for the money. Slide to frame fit is tight, but not overly so. Accuracy is good, but I can't give you a group size for mine, because I've never had it in a rest. The only nit I have to pick with it is that the sights can be hard to acquire quickly in the dark, or with a black target. That can be easily remedied by painting the front sight, or replacing the sights with some form of night site. The only sharp edges on mine are on the front serrations, and I never use them anyway, so they don't bother me.
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

[This message has been edited by Eric of IN (edited August 14, 2000).]

Gremlin

Springfield 1911A1 "Loaded". Best gun for the money in the genre (with a nod to Kimber's stainless custom...). I have one with the parkerized "flat" finish and love it. Mine is more accurate than I am and groups hand held at 2 to 2.5" at 25 feet. The trigger pull on mine is crisp and sensitive.

The cocobolo grips feel great as does the flat mainspring housing. It's got all the goodies right out of the box and after 800 rounds, the only failure to feeds I experienced were in the first box or two of ammo.

My only complaint is that the set screw on the rear sight tends to unscrew itself when firing extended sessions. I painted the front sight white...

You'd have to put yourself at risk of being shot by my SA 1911A1 if you tried to take mine away from me!

------------------
Take the long way home...

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Best 1911 on the market for the money.
The Kimbers are more rounded and use lightweight frames - may be a nicer carry package to some... but I like steel and I like it in stainless thank you very much.

The SA is outstanding.

Its not perfect - but if you want better you'll be paying TIMES TWO for a finished pistol... My suggestion is to get the 1911A1 and give 150 to 200 to your local gunsmith if you want Better.

Erik

Great pistol. You can keep it stock and be content, or use it as a platform for a smith to work on. Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Cliff

Nice to read all of these positive comments.

I just picked up my SA 1911-A1 today. It's the full size model, V-12 stainless (V-12 is ported barrel) and has adjustable rear sight.

Fit and finish appear to be quite good and it's lighter than I expected.

This is my first 1911 style pistol. I can't wait to take it to the range, but that will have to wait until the end of the month. This is my B-day present from my wife, and NO using it until my B-day. Rules are rules. :)

I plan to break it in using Federal American Eagle 230 gr. FMJ loads. I figure the ball ammo will help polish the feed ramp and the like but am open to other suggestions.

Cliff

hoosierboy

Yeah I just bought one tonight after work. I already have a colt I bought a few months ago. I paid 550 for it I didn't get the parkerized version, b/c it would scratch more. I got the 1911-A1, with the woods grips. It said it was on sale, did I get a good deal?

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html

Correia

I love mine, carry it every day. At first I thought the sharp edges would be bad but I've never noticed them, and I carry in a bellyband. Good gun.

One word of advice, when you get it, pick up some blue locktite also for the guide rod, and also check the screw on the rear sight, mine came loose and I had to locktite it back in.

Good trigger, more accurate than I am. Has never jammed on hardball, though it doesn't like the older flatter 230 gr. Hydroshoks, planning on trying Golden Sabres next.

Gopher .45

For those interested, here are the best prices I have found so far...
www.championfirearms.com/spring.html

Description Price
1911A1 Milspec Standard or Champion .45ACP Parkerized $ 419.95

1911A1 Milspec Compact 45ACP Parkerized $419.95

1911A1 Blue Standard, Champion, or Compact .45ACP Parkerized $ 439.95

1911A1 Stainless .45ACP Compact $ 499.95

1911A1 Stainless .45ACP Champion $ 489.95

1911A1 Stainless .45ACP Standard $ 479.95

Trophy Match Blue .45ACP Standard $ 759.95

Trophy Match Stainless .45ACP Standard $ 799.95

1911A1 Ultra Compact BiTone .45ACP $ 499.95

1911A1 Night Compact w/ Night Sights .45ACP $ 569.95