Springfield Armory P9 - Price Check

Rockrivr1

Springfield Armory P9 - Any Information

I saw a pre-ban Springfield Armory Stainless 9mm Para at the local gun shop today. It was on consignment and had just arrived. I was the first to take a look at it. It was interesting to handle seeing that post ban SA guns are illegal in Mass. It felt good and the asking price was $350. It came with one mag and papers but no box.

Seeing you can't buy these in my state, I'm not sure if this is a good price for the gun. I tried doing a search on this site but didn't find out to much about this particular model other then a bunch of posts saying other SA models were pretty good overall.

Needless to say I'm intested in picking it up if you all feel the price is about right. Also, is there anything I should look for in regards to this model? Any wear & tear items to check prior to buying?

Thanks for the information.
Troy

My wife is gonna kill me if I come home with another gun. I'll have to pick up something for her before I show her it. ;)

Last edited:

Rockrivr1

I'm assuming at this point that the P9 wasn't one of thier best sellers. Maybe instead of a price check, how about any information on the gun itself. Anyone have one, liked it, not liked it?

stans

As far as I know the P-9 was a TZ-75 series 88 that had the final machining done by Springfield.

Dfariswheel

The P9 was made in Italy by Tanfoglio and finished by Springfield.
These were very high quality replicas of the CZ-75. I think the one I had was a step above the FIE/Excam/TZ/EAA guns, including the current EAA.

These were a good seller for Springfield, since the CZ-75 and copies were the "hot" wonder nine, at the time.
The reason it went "by by" was the original Springfield company went bust. When they reorganized EAA was offering guns at a lower price, and they wanted to go with the Argentine made 1911's they now sell.

There were apparently not many .45's or stainless guns sold before the collapse.

I really regret trading mine off. I still think it's one of the best 9mm's ever made. High cap, accurate, reliable, best DA trigger ever, and fit like the Browning HP.

Peter M. Eick

I have a p9 ultra in 40. Great gun and very very accurate. I finally changed out the barrel at 5500 rnds or so because I most shot hot 135 grn screamers before I wised up and starting buy 10mm's. Even the smith at Briley said I shot the rifling out.

Anyway, mine has a great trigger, both in SA/DA. It is very reliable and has only one broken part so far. The slide-lock gave out at about 700 odd rnds (as I remember) and I was told they had a batch of soft locks and it was replaced for free.

I paid about $500 for my ultra (the ultra is a long barrel ported version that was IPSC approved with adjustable sights) about 7 years ago and have looked for another one since.

Great guns, very solidly built (do not try to smith it, the hardness of the steel in the slides is legendary) and very fun to shoot.

Buy it!

farmboy

I traded my P9 .40 for a .32 Mag S&W m16. Good trade, but the P9 was not the gun to trade. It was a fine weapon I've long since regretted parting ways with. If I find another, Ill buy it.

cobb

I have a blued P9 in .40 S&W. I like everything about it, except it is the only pistol I own that gives me hammer bite. I bought mine about a year ago, new in the box for $395.00, probably too much, but this is the only one I have ever seen in my area, and I had to have it in a 40.

3 gun

I have the two tone P9 with the factory 2 chamber compensator in 40 cal. Great gun. The slide stop is the weak link, even more so in 40. Keep one handy. I don't shoot mine much any more, the comp puts it into open class and I'm not up for that yet. I paid 400 for mine with the box and 2 standard (12 round) mags.