springfield armory operator 2 month report

bigghoss

back in november I purchased a SA operator. I've put about 530 round through this gun and it's cycled just fine however the pistol will just barely eject the last case and sometimes it will get stuck in the port or caught in the feed lips of the mag. I'm no pistol smith but I believe it's due to a bad/improperly tuned extractor. the problem didn't reveal itself right away but just today it became very bad. it's done this with the two original mags and two 8 rounch chip mccormick shooting star mags. So it's getting shipped back to the factory at their expense to get fixed. also I just recently noticed that the front sight was ever so slightly bent to the left. what I believe happened it that the person who installed the sight didn't open up the dovetail slot enough and forced the sight into the too-tight slot and bent it in the process as indicated by the sight base being recessed on the left and protruding on the right. I forgot to discuss this with the CS rep I talked to but she told me to type a note with everything I want fixed on the gun so I added that on there too. these two issues would be hard to pick up by the QC department, especially since the extractor didn't act up on me until about 3 weeks ago but whoever installed the front sight probably should have known better.

aside from those two issues and a few minor tool marks on the side of the trigger guard which are hard to spot, the gun has been very good and is put together well in all other aspects. slide to frame is tight, beavertail is fit nicely for an off the self production gun in this price range, and the trigger is pretty good. I don't have a scale but the website says about 4.5lbs and I'd say that's about right. Besides the extraction issue mentioned I have had no other malfunctions, the gun feeds well and locks back on every empty magazine as far as I can remember.

I fully expect Springfield to make everything right and I imagine after I get it back I'll be very satisfied with the gun. I'll post updates as I get them. as of right now I wouldn't tell anyone not to consider a springfield armory 1911 or an operator model but I would warn when purchasing ANY gun even a brand new one give it a VERY close look. do some homework before hand and know what to look for. Impulse buying a gun is usually not a good idea.

BILLDAVE

Good report. I have a TRP and I did have a trigger job done, after the first trip to the range. It pulls at 3 3/4 lbs now. It was a great improvement. I think the factory was 5 lbs.:barf: I was wondering if they would test shoot it before it leaves the factory. They should notice the front site, right? Good luck, let us know how it goes.
BILLDAVE

bigghoss

I was thinking about sending it through the custom shop while it was there but I already spent a whole lot on the gun and I don't feel it absolutely needs anything right now. if I wanted to I could drop another $1000 customizing this gun and it probably wouldn't make it work any better so I'll probably settle for a trigger job and swapping the ambi-safety for a single sided and maybe getting the stainless trigger, bushing, and barrel blacked out. I'd also like to change the MSH to ditch the ILS just because but I doubt SA would want to do that for me.

BILLDAVE

I agree, don't sent it to the Custom Shop. I rather spend the dough up front and get a better gun(NightHawk). The trigger job cost me $75. Well worth it. I don't know why a lot of guys change the ambridexterous saftey. Does that help in any way? Maybe lighter?

drail

MHS - mainspring housing ILS - integral locking system Feeding problems with the last 1 or 2 rounds are usually indicative of a rough extractor hook and/or a weak magazine spring. I agree with looking a gun over closely before purchase but a lot of things aren't really going to be visible unless you know what to look for and are permitted to detail strip the gun. For most users a good warranty is probably more important.

Last edited:

scottl

MSH=Main Spring Housing
ILS= Integral Locking System

They'll change the MSH if you want.Or you can do it yourself.There's a sticky over at 1911forum with all info needed as internals are different.

bigghoss

msh= main spring housing ILS=internal locking system

I'm right handed so I don't need an ambi-safety and I've heard and after playing around with it some believe it's possible to get some of the meat of one of my fingers pinched between the right side lever and the slide especially with those serrations right there to grab something and pull it in. also they are more prone to breakage I'm told. another reason is if you want to change the grips you have to make sure they're cut for the right side lever and ofter that costs extra if it's even offered in the grips you want.

with so many different things offered for the 1911 it's hard to find everything you want in a gun without a bunch of extra stuff you don't want that drives the price up. the operator was pretty close to what I had in mind for my ideal 1911 pistol with the light rail and OD frame/ black slide so I guess I gotta take the good with the bad.

bigghoss

ok so I ended up sending the gun back and they adjusted the extractor. about 400 rounds or so later it started having the same problem again so it seems for some reason the extractor will not hold tension. I'll call and send it back and demand a NEW extractor rather than adjusting the old one. aside from this the gun has not had any feeding issues.

Don P

Unfortunate they didn't change out the extractor. Best customer service around IMO. I had to send my XD back for the same reason and luckily they changed the extractor.

HKFan9

I transfer guns out for our gun smiths for warranty work... I can say with out a doubt SA, Ruger, Glock, and S&W have some of the best customer service.

SA will make your gun right. As you said it is a hard thing to notice if they extractor is out of tune for a QC rep going over the gun.

Everything will break down, I have fixed enough "perfect" glocks to know this to be true. I will say however 1911's require more attention to detail, specially with the extractor being tuned. That being said however... to me there is no better platform.

My operator has seen 1000's of rounds with no issue. I bought it on a pro staff order form and was planning on hand fitting all my own internals, but after shooting it, and it working solid, I didn't bother with the surgery yet, bigger and better projects on my bench at the moment.

+1 on Chip mags, these are Power 10's and 8's

Picture085.jpg