Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Stainless

David the Gnome

samilspec01.jpg

samilspec02.jpg

Just added this to the collection today. I've been looking for one for a long time but it seemed like every time I located one I was just a few minutes too slow and someone had beaten me to it. I've been checking Bud's every morning for a while and I happened to check the Springfield section right after an update and guess what was there? :D

I've been searching for a basic 1911 in stainless and from researching it seemed to me like the Springfield Mil-Spec was exactly the gun I was looking for. It has the classic looks of the original 1911-A1 but more functional sights (actually has white 3-dots), which is my only real complaint with the GI model. They did have the stainless GI there as well but it was almost the exact same price as the Mil-Spec.

My biggest complaint about the Mil-Spec models is that I really don't like the black plastic grips they come with. Fortunately the new Mil-Specs come with the wood grips installed and the plastic grips in the case, along with two 7-round mags, a bore brush, and a kydex holster and magazine carrier. It's a pretty good bargain all together I think, especially for a stainless gun. :)

I think including both sets of grips (along with that upgraded cocobolo set) is a deal maker. You'll find this is a fantastic "base" 1911. I say base loosely because it almost follows Nissan's old sales pitch..."Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Congratulations, David. I don't think you'll be disappointed...

David the Gnome

I think the first, and possibly the only, modification I am going to make to this gun is to replace the arched mainspring housing (which contains the internal-lock) with a normal flat mainspring housing. I have no use for an IL and I prefer a flat mainspring housing anyways. ;)

hdawson228

I bought the stainless "GI" and then had SA add the Milspec sights, enlarge and bevel the ejection port and tune the trigger to 3.5-4 pounds. I couldn't ask for anything more. Perfect.:cool:

GunBugBit

I was looking at this exact model (Springfield 1911 Mil Spec in Stainless with THOSE grips) today and nearly bought it. After talking to my wife about it a little more, she is fine with it.

So guess what I'll be bringing home tomorrow?

Oh, does anyone have an opinion on these mags? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=564122

My gun store/club says I only get one mag with my purchase, and I know they're probably one of the shops that KEEPS the extra mag and then swears it only comes with one. Even if I guilt them into 'fessing up with the second mag, I'll still want more.

Skan21

Not to be a snob, but I always buy either Wilson or Mec Gar mags. I never have a problem with them. I lose 1 or 2 a year though, because my friends steal them.

AZAK

David the Gnome

Does your SA look exactly like the pics? Or are they Photoshopped?

Because if it is exactly like the photos, I am not seeing a serial number where I would normally see a serial number! (And other manufacturing info.) It is a really sleek look, I like the look.

Nice choice! I personally am partial to Colts; however, that is one of the SAs that I have considered recently.

Dr Raoul Duke

Does your SA look exactly like the pics? Or are they Photoshopped? Because if it is exactly like the photos, I am not seeing a serial number where I would normally see a serial number! (And other manufacturing info.) It is a really sleek look, I like the look.

It's either been 'shopped or captured. Even the examples on the SA web site have a trace amount of the manufacturing info and serial number. I have one of the green GI .45's that I have done a great deal of shooting with and it's a great pistol. I have made two modifications; a flat mainspring housing and long NM trigger. I also either use Wilson 47C or Ed Brown magazines, as they are the only magazines that never seem to fail. If you start having problems with your 1911 failing to feed, try a Wilson or Brown magazine and see if that doesn't fix it. But, like another said, be careful where you lay Wilson or Brown magazines around, as they have a habit of walking away.:)

Dr. Raoul Duke
Forever Gonzo

GunBugBit

I just picked mine up. There was a 2nd mag in the plastic case, so the store employee yesterday misinformed me.

Mine looks exactly like the pic in the first post (except for the photoshopped-out serial # in the pic...mine DOES have one of course). I had originally thought I'd want a parkerized finish, as that would make it look closer to what the Army officers carried around (I was in the Army too), but the stainless looked REALLY nice to me and I thought, what the heck, I've been a civilian for 23 years, I can carry stainless. :D

Tonight should be a nice time with a little disassembly/reassembly practice, cleaning, lube...then to the range. Love the feel, love the sights. Should be fun.

45Gunner

Excellent Choice!!! I just purchased a Springfield MilSpc 1911 A1 but in Matte Blue. I wish I could have found a stainless...if I ever do, I will snap it up. I have changed direction with my gun collection after having bought a lot of handguns with all the bells and whistles, I am now seeking out basic 1911's chambered in .45ACP.

Anyone know about the Para 1911 or the Browning?

GunBugBit

Any of the finishes would be fine with me, I just had made up my mind I wanted a Springfield Mil-Spec, and the only Mil-Spec my shooting club had in stock was a stainless. I thought I wanted parkerized because...well I forget why...:D...it sure is easy to like how this gun looks in stainless.

So we know these are pretty to look at, got a range report yet? Would love to read how you like shooting it.

Last edited:

GunBugBit

Thanks David. Mine has the ILS so if I decide to get rid of it, I'll use your info. Sounds reasonably straightforward.

I have one tiny criticism of this gun. The straight front of the grip is not nearly as comfortable as that of the nicely curved CZ P-01 grip I'm used to. My adaptation is to simply not grip hard enough with my right fingers to inflict pain. Other than that one thing, I like the feel a lot.

I don't claim to be a 1911 man yet. But I can see many reasons why the platform has so many fans, and I'm sure I'll learn more reasons as I become more familiar with the parts etc.