Springfield Armory Mil Spec Range Report

Georgian

Hey yall. I recently acquired a Springfield Mil-Spec in .45acp. I managed to get it out today and ran approximately 200 rounds of hard ball, both Wolf and Rem UMC 230gr, without a single failure or malfunction. I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of this handgun.

My first twenty rounds were benched from 7/10/15/25 yards with the UMC 230gr, five rounds at each distance (I accidently put 6 rounds on the 15yd target). My only modifcations thus far have been adding cocobolo double diamond grips and a sheet metal Wilson Combat front grip strap as well as painting to front sight dot orange. The trigger is extremely crisp with about a 1/16th of a inch of take up with about a 5-6 pound pull. It was very easy to shoot this gun accurately. As a side note, no hammer bite, although the inside of my thumb where it rides on the thumb safety is quite sore, but to be expected. The handgun is extremely well-fitted, barrel lockup tight as a bank vault. I should also mention my point of aim was dead center.

Last edited:
Nice! The Springfield Armory Mil-Spec was the first 1911 I ever bought. Back in 2009 or 2010.

Loved that thing! Too bad it was worked off by Bubba and ruined.

COSteve

I too started off with a Springfield; a 'NM' s/n Mil-Spec I got NIB in 2011. Like the OP, I've only added some cocobolo double diamond grips. I made the mistake of showing it to my son who, after he ran a couple hundred rds through it without a hickup, decided that he really needed it.

So, thinking that it did so well, I decided to get another one. Later that year, I found a NIB 'NM' s/n Range Officer for myself that's just as reliable. I've only added some Cocobolo double diamond grips and a dab of florescent orange paint on the front sight. Now we both can shoot them to our heart's content.

Both will eat anything I handload from my lead rd nose, to Speer GDs, to even some of my stock of old 'Flying Ashtrays'.

(Pics before I added the new Grips Cocobolo grips)

imRdwap.jpg