Springfield Armory M6 Scout?

GunXpatriot

So a while ago, I kind of wanted one of those M6 scouts... I remember when Savage has actually come out with that Model 42, which was actually pretty cool. It looked good (imo) and featured either .22lr or .22 magnum rifle with a .410 shotgun. Now Savage didn't incorporate any compartments for ammo storage, etc like the M6 scout.

Now today, I was wondering, why hasn't anyone tried to do something that the M6 scout did? I'm going to take a wild guess and say Springfield Armory owns the rights to the M6, but why has no one tried to do something like this, either by aquiring rights, or simply building their own design?

Now why would they do this? Because the need (mostly WANT) exists for such things. Because really, who the hell would buy the Savage Model 42? I mean, what's special about it? The only thing worth noting is the fact that it's a COMBINATION GUN. And there really is a market for these things. The M6 scout on gunbroker? Normally reach 1000 dollars, and you know what? People are buying them, even for that kind of money!

People want things like the M6 scout. They were a ruggedly designed survival combination gun, that looked awkward and had a strange trigger, but offered great features like ammo storage in the stock and was able to be broken down for easy storage, or whatever one would need the feature for.

Has any company even tried to do something like this again?

I mean, am I the only one who thinks the M6 Scout was this "great" thing? I mean, surely someone has to agree that they were awesome, right? 'Cause the people buying them for $1000 a pop sure do. :confused:

MattShlock

Why no M6? Generally no-one wants 'em. They're a niche gun for collectors. They really were sorta interesting clunkers...

However, I think some companies missed the boat. Forgot to ride the preparedness, even Zombie, wave or production capacity was limited.

I agree there is some special, pent up, demand. The past few years has seen people looking for simple, indestructible, effective, relatively inexpensive truck/survival guns I believe. The 42 was a good start but wrong chambering IMO. They need a 20 ga./.22 Mag. Maybe a 12 ga./.223* w/a .22 LR adapter. Combinations of all the above at buyers' choice. I dunno...

*I could see a stainless Savage 42 with an 18" 12 ga. lower barrel and .223 16-1/2" upper barrel with a GI muzzle break on top. Right!?

g.willikers

What about the Savage 24?
They came in many combinations.
One version was 20 gauge over .222.
A very useful survival type gun.

GunXpatriot

Actually, the 24 in .222 over 20 gauge is a pretty potent combo, I'd say. If I can find one in good shape for a decent price, I'd probably get one. Is .222 as available as .223? Although, the choice in loads probably isn't as versatile. Even still, no storage for ammo... :p

MattShlock

That would be the short "camper" Model 24? I have a few "survival" category guns I would call them. Includes a 20 ga./.22 Mag. Too long and heavy for what it is IMO but a good "vacation home," and maybe a truck, gun.

Attachments

• Sav24_01.jpg
    Sav24_01.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 20

dewcrew8

They were made for the Air Force b52 crews. And then they came out as the scouts for me and you! I would love to get a gi model one with the shorter barrel! Already have the 22 hornet gi rounds for it:D today's price on them is crazy! Some one needs to come out with some like it again!

alaskabushman

I enjoy my M6 for what it was designed for, a handy survival/camp gun. I agree the trigger is a bit funky, but some practice and you can get it down. I wrapped the fore end with para-cord for something to grip and protect the hand from heat. Plus it gives you some cord in an emergency. I really wish they had made it possible to shoot .45 colt in the .410 barrel, but no such luck. Overall a good gun, not amazingly accurate but it does the job. If you want a gun with ammo carrier on board check out this Chiappa .22. No its not a combo gun, but it would make a nice little package. I'm keeping my eyes open for one.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/1...ent=2013-06-26&************=Weekly+Newsletter

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2599

g.willikers

GunXpatriot,
No .222 is not all that available.
Probably won't find it at Walmart.
But it's available online most places.
Not all that popular so it's in stock.
And how much ammo is really needed for this kind of rifle?

Last edited: