Springfield Armory M1A

Chaparral

Love my M1A. But I have been noticing something that I'd like to ask a question about. I notice when I see others shooting an M1A it really flings their casings. When I shoot mine it pretty much just leaves them on the table at the range. Should I worry about this?

Bart B.

That's not a problem unless some get inside your clothes

Try replacing the ejector spring with a new one if you want to.

ballardw

Maybe the others are shooting hotter ammo and beating up their rifles.
Maybe yours is just better mannered (I hate chasing brass).

44 AMP

Staff
If the brass is being extracted and ejected reliably it "ain't broke and don't need fixin'"...

MAYBE its time for a new ejector spring, or maybe just a good cleaning. Maybe the extractor is worn a bit, maybe not. Those are things to check.

If you don't have the combo tool for the M14, get one. Its a big help.

jrothWA

Are the ejected cases forming az "neat" group...

about 2 to 3 o'clock or scattered every where?

If scattered then change the extractor and ejector springs. and DETAILED the bolt. Also have a spare extractor [they do break.]

Check the Kuhnhausen book of the M1 & M1A/M14 for further information.

pcxxxx42

Love my M1A. But I have been noticing something that I'd like to ask a question about. I notice when I see others shooting an M1A it really flings their casings. When I shoot mine it pretty much just leaves them on the table at the range. Should I worry about this?
It would be helpful to know what fodder you shoot (if handloads, the recipe, if retail, what brand/model/etc., in DETAIL?), how many rounds it has thru it, how often do you clean it, and the last time you did so, and has the behavior changed over time?

How do you maintain it? What is your cleaning regimen?

These are all things that will assist in diagnosing your issues.

As for me, having all my brass in a nice little pile is something I've never seen, and long for, emotionally. :-]

It is really difficult to diagnose a problem with the ---> extraordinarily LIMITED<--- information you give us here?

Pile it on, dude.