Springfield Armory M1911a1

Geezerbiker

Is the per-bankruptcy /reorganization Springfield Armory M1911's worth more than the post reorg. models? I know the older models had all the machine work done in the US as opposed to the later ones that are all imported...

Tony

otasan said:
I got my 1st SA M1911A1 in 1988, and my second in 1990.
???

Geezerbiker asked a potentially interesting question. How does your statement in any way respond to that question?

I wasn't aware that Springfield Armory had ever declared bankruptcy.

Jim Watson

I never heard that, either.
The claim is that SAs are NOW all "made in USA" whereas before they got guns or at least rough forged parts from Imbel in South America.

RickB

When did Springfield reorganize (I googled "springfield armory bankruptcy" and nothing came up)?
I've owned four Springfield 1911s, made between 2003-2016, and didn't notice any difference in quality among them.
There was a belief that U.S.-made guns from the Imbel era were of higher quality than complete imported guns, but that's something I've "heard" as opposed to experienced myself.
"Late guns", from about 2015 on, are completely made in America, while guns made prior to that could have been imported as complete guns, imported in a state that required that they be marked as having been made in Brazil, or imported in a state that required enough of the manufacturing process to be completed in the U.S. that they are "made" in America.

Armybrat

My early 1990s SA GI was made in Brazil (stamped "Imbel"). Very nice, tight gun that shoots better than I do.

KyJim

I have found a couple of references to SA and bankruptcy. One in 2004, mentions SA going broke a "number of years" before that post: https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=868437&postcount=3

However, another link states that SA ran into financial difficulties but never actually filed bankruptcy. " Springfield Armory had to cease trading in 1992 because of financial difficulties but the business did not go bankrupt."
http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPC...g/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=17545,DATABASE=objects, It seems a bit more credible to me.

I frequent some of the 1911 forums and have never seen discussion about the collectibility of pre-financial trouble SAs. That doesn't mean they aren't more collectible or that SAs from a particular period are more or less desirable.

RickB -- Is that first link I posted by you?

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

They went broke fighting the feds over a gun them made that supposedly violated the NFA. The won in court but it left them broke. I think it was around 89 or 90 but I don't remember. I know I got the last one in Portland after they announced bankruptcy.

I was pleased that they survived to reorganize. They made good products and didn't deserve the BS they had to endure. I thought this was common knowledge.

I think I may have answered my own question. If know one remembers SA's reorganization, it must knot have a much of an effect on resale value...

Tony