Springfield Armory 1903

Samueul

Hello everyone.

I have a springfield armory 1903 serial 636705 with a P 4 9 stamped on the barrel. It was given to me a long time ago by my uncle and I still hunt with it today (take a deer every year) but know next to nothing about it other than what this website tells me. http://armscollectors.com/sn/usmilookup.php

The site above is saying that this rifle was manufactured in 1917. Should I even be shooting this rifle and since it's old and beat up, is it worth restoring?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Limeyfellow

Restoring it could actually ruin the value on many rifles. If it is beaten about a bit though rubbing in a bit of oil and giving it a good cleaning to remove some of the dirt might help.

Many people don't suggest firing a Springfield 03 with a serial number below 800000 due to problems with brittleness in the reciever were they overheated them in production. It will be a problem if you fire hot loaded 30-06 for sure, but light loaded 30-06 will probrobly be okay.

Willie D

Just keep it clean and oiled. I suppose you oil the stock with linseed oil but I wouldn't "restore" any further. As far as resale value is concerned re-blueing, etc. would be bad. Then again, hopefully you intend to give it to your grandkids, so maybe you shouldn't worry about that.

As far as shooting it: It's worked so far, hasn't it? A lot of people argue against using older ones but receiver failures are extremely rare.

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Slamfire

If it is in full military condition don't alter the rifle. The number of full military M03's is limited, getting less by the day.

However, you said you want to restore it. What does that mean?

How many parts are missing from the full military configuration?

The cost of restoration is something that must be considered. Purchasing correct period parts, barrel, stock, handguards, sights, will easily run you $800.00.

Samueul

SlamFire1 - That's my big question. I don't know how it stacks up to a military configuration. Been searching though. I would like to make sure it has all the components it should have, and be safe to shoot. I wish to keep it in the family.

Limeyfellow

What I would do is disassemble the whole rifle and compare the parts against say Surplus rifles were they show the disassemble/resassemble instructions for the 1903.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/1903/

Compare any of the serial numbers and manufacturers marks to see if they actually are all matching.

David the Gnome

Post up some pictures and we can tell you if anything big has been changed on it.

I'd stop shooting it and put it on display, worth too much to me.

Willie D

Again, read the link at the end of my previous post.

Samueul's Springfield is from 1917. There were 11 recorded receiver failures out of 169,806 rifles produced that year. His rifle likely made it through the war and seems to have been used since then. Odds are it's ok.

Smokey Joe

Playing the odds....

Odds are it's ok.
What are the odds on getting your face blown off by a low s/n Springfield? Is it worth the risk?

It's a family heirloom--Clean it up--don't change a thing on the gun! Don't "restore" it; it is what it is. Hang it on the wall, buy a Savage .30-'06 to hunt deer with. Show the Springfield to the grandkids, all in one piece, with yr face and hands all in one piece.

11/169,806 ain't bad odds at all for the state $1 lottery. IMHO they're LOUSY odds for ruining an heirloom and getting important parts of yourself made into bloody hash.

Of course, if you like to gamble, with really big stakes...