Springfield 5" lightweight 1911 opinions wanted

dirksterg30

I'm looking at getting a 5" 1911, specifically the Springfield Loaded Lightweight Bi-tone, model # PX9104LP. I can get it for around $850-$900.

I'd like your thoughts on this pistol. It will be mostly a range gun, but I will probably use it as a carry gun down the road.

I like the beavertail, ambi safety, and tritium sights, but I will probably change the full-length guide rod out for the std. GI setup. Is this an easy change?

I'm open to other suggestions that are in the same price range.

Thanks for your input.

Technosavant

Did you post this over at THR too? I think I answered this one over there, or else I'm losing my mind (that is, even more of it...).

Short answer that I gave over there: Have one. Love it. I find the SA lightweights preferable to other brands due to the ramped barrel (no issues with a soft feed ramp on the frame).

sholling

In my opinion unless you are a big guy a full sized may be a bit big for CCW. But that's your call. If it were me I'd buy the light weight commander sized champion for a carry pistol, or a stainless framed full size for a range gun. For double duty I'd still go with the LW commander form factor. The 3/4" shorter barrel has little downside. In either form factor the lighter weight of an alloy frame will make it more of a hand full at the range, but if it becomes your CCW it will probably spend more time on your hip than in your hand.