Springfield 1911a1 MIM question

meat

I recently purchased a Springfield 1911 loaded parkerized model. All this talk about MIM parts has me concerned. How can you tell if the parts are MIM? Mine was produced last year and has the rounded edges so it's not as snag prone or sharp. It also has Brazil stamped on the slide. Are MIM parts really something to be concerned about? Does this mean that I have a gun of less quality?

snokid

do you have anything to worry about?

IMHO no....

do you have a lesser quality pistol?

well yes and no... If springfield put "tool steel" parts in instead of the MIM parts the price would of risen.

you could always change out the parts, but then you right back up in price.

One thing about springfields lately is that they are running out of their shop with a loose extractor...IMHO....

sno

Archer1440

How can you tell if the parts are MIM?

MIM (Metal injection Molded) parts typically have two features that make their production method very obvious- small, flat disc-shaped features from the mold push pins, and the injection gate, which looks like a little bullseye, sometimes with a tiny nipple of metal inside. Imagine the look of a pebble being dropped into perfectly still water, 1/32" to 1`/16" in diameter.

On the Springfield loaded, the following parts are usually MIM:

Hammer
Sear
Firing pin stop

parts that are PROBABLY MIM but do not obviously bear the features I mentioned include:

Ejector
Slide Stop
Mag button and release

The extractor MIGHT be MIM, it does not have the marks and has been refinished .

All of these parts on stainless pistols APPEAR to have a satin finish hard chromium treatment which slightly contrasts with the slide and frame.

In spite of what appears to be inherent distrust of such parts among some people, they seem to be well made and durable.

Kevinch

MIM is certainly a hot topic, that's for sure.

You'll find just as much disagreement on MIM as you do on which manufacturer to buy a 1911 from.

I have yet to have a problem with MIM parts on my Kimber 1911 pistols, & won't change any of them out until I do.

That some very elite LE groups are selecting 1911 pistols that contain MIM after extensive torture testing indicates that the parts are holding up just fine.

dsk

So far I have had experience failures with three MIM parts, a hammer, sear, and Kimber firing pin plunger. Yes I know MIM keeps the costs down, but in a defensive pistol I'd rather pay the extra price up front for quality parts inside a new 1911. As it is, with all their troubles Colt is about the only sub-$1k 1911 manufacturer using only a minimum of MIM parts (mag catch and sear).

bountyh

The only part I can say with 100% certainty should absolutely NEVER be MIM is the extractor. If yours is MIM, chuck it in the lake and get a new one.