Springfield 1911A1 9mm? Feedback needed.

jawper

All,

Hoping someone can give me some insight on this.

I'm looking at an offer of a used Springfield 1911A1, Blued, in 9mm, Essex frame, with night sights and four magazines. I'll find out more details on the particulars (manufacture of mags, brand and age of sights, etc.) in the coming days but I'm looking for some more basic feedback about this pistol.

I've recently become interested in having a 1911-style pistol in the collection but the prospect of adding a new caliber was complicating the choice. This would seem to be a rather nice solution. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using Springfield's 9mm 1911 pistols. Impressions? Do they measure up, by and large, to the .45 and .40 Springfields? Anything in particular to look out for? The price he is quoting is $450. ASSUMING (for the sake of our discussion here) that the pistol in fact "runs flawlessly and is accurate" as he claims, does this seem a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pilot

Great pistol

Jawper,

I have a Springfield 1911A1, in .45 that I bought new about six years ago. Therefore, its a "pre-Loaded" model and about as basic as a 1911 can get. It has operted flawlessly and is very accurate. I'd love to get one in 9MM. I think $450 may be a little high, but as the 9MM's are probably rare, they may bring a premium. If the gun is in good shape, I'd get it!

Pilot

RWK

I have a Springfield full-size stainless 1911A1 chambered for .45 ACP -- and no 9MM/1911 experience. My Springfield has been a terrific: solid and tight, high quality manufacture and parts, very accurate, unusually reliable and durable, no jams of failures to feed. It compares VERY favorably with my Kimber and my pre-WWII Colt government 1911A1.

So, in general I would be confident in Springfield's 1911A1s.