Springfield 1911 sight replacement??

PolarFBear

Springfield 1911 Defender (mid-90's model) shot off its front sight. I was at an OUTDOOR range, gravel/dirt, etc. Looked down the barrel to sight the next round and ---- what's different???? Oh, the front sight has left the chat. No other damage. Fortunately, I FOUND the missing splinter of metal near where the spent brass had landed! The sight is not milled into the slide, nor is it peened to the slide as a GI model is. Looks like it was a MIM or cast metal part. Now, where do I get a replacement? The piece is long out of any kind of warranty service. I've read of folks having replacement sights installed but what and where. I'd rather not just J/B Weld it back in place.

If the original front sight wasn't milled into the slide and wasn't mortised into the slide, how was it attached? A photo would be helpful.

Gary, I know how GI front sights are installed, and PolarFBear specifically said this sight was not installed that way.

PolarFBear said:
The sight is not milled into the slide, nor is it peened to the slide as a GI model is.

That's why I asked.

jcj54

Springfield Defender

Front sights are the standard staked/peened in. It ts typical for the stem the goes through the slide to remain in place as the blade shears off when the sight comes off in recoil. This gives the impression that the sight was not a stake on.
As to replacement any local gunsmith who works on 1911 pistols can fit a new front sight.

Last edited:

ocharry

i bet Springfield will fix it for free..and pay shipping both ways

they have or did have a great warranty

ocharry

PolarFBear

Thanks to Ocharry and Lurch37. Springfield came through. They WILL repair this 1911 that left the Springfield factory in 1989. They cover shipping both ways. All They need is the slide. This Defender was my first 1911. I've had a number of others of various makes but the Defender is my "always" with me and has a legacy in my will. I took some pictures for the curious but have never been able to transfer from "smartphone" to dumb computer. I attribute this to either an engineering phenomenon or operator error. Thanks all.

PolarFBear

Closing the "loop"

Got my 1911 back. A-OK. Springfield paid the freight both ways and shipped to my door. Cost? ZERO to me. Firearm is back to "business".