Springfield 1911: Model from Serial #?

TunnelRat

Hi All,
I was at my LGS today and they were selling brand new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec models for $680. I put a hold on one. I came home, however, and noticed that they also had a used Springfield 1911 for $575. They did not have the model listed, however, and my thoughts are that it is probably a GI as its condition was listed as 96%.

Is there any way to figure out what model it is from the serial #? It's a bit of a drive and they are always crazy busy so calling can be a long shot. The serial # is N511685.

Thanks,
-TR

scottl

Nope you can't tell from serial completely.

The GI's will start with WW or LW(lightweight)

Mil Specs and Loadeds will be N or NM.With Loadeds having LW also.

Range Officers will be NM

Operators NM and LW

But you can go to Springfield's website and see each.

Kreyzhorse

By the price and serial number, I'd guess it's a Mil-Spec. Regardless of how busy they are, I'd call and stay on them until I got an answer.

NHagar

do you have pic to look at of the gun? If you are debating if its a Mil-spec or GI. Now correct me if I am wrong. But I believe the GI model has straight Serrations on the slide. the Mil-Spec they are slanted Forward. If you look on Springfield's website you can see in there pics that the serrations are different. also the GI has a lanyard loop and the mil-spec does not. that would be the easiest way to tell by just looking at a picture.