springfield 1911 mil-spec or GI mil spec?

2002gti

whats the diff between the two. i see the mil spec for $460 and GI mil for $380. lanyard loop and grips seems to be the only thing i notice.

MrAcheson

The standard milspec has more modern sights that are usually considered better by most people. It also has a flared and lowered ejection port to aid in extraction. The GI can dent brass occasionally because of the port.

readyfire

Either guns are well worth buying!pic the one you like!its easy.If you dont reload i wouldnt worry about dented brass,as far as my GIs the regular ejection port makes no diff in how the gun functions.

care-less

They are both A1 configuration. The A1 differed from the original 1911 with cutouts behind the trigger, shorter trigger, and arched mainspring housing.

I went with the Milspec because the sights are nice and I won't need to replace them.....and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the parkerized finish on the GI more grayish and the Milspec more black...I also heard the Milpsec has a beveled mag well....

Bulldog

Another difference - correct me if I'm wrong - is that the WWII model does not have the flared & lowered ejection port.

Seraph

Unless you can find one of the non-import Mil Specs, with the stainless one-piece barrel and stainless bushing, I'd go with the GI. I thought I'd like the 3-dot sights on the Mil Spec, but I know now that I'd prefer the GI style sights, and I wish those were standard on the Mil Spec. I blacked-out the dots on my sights with a Sharpie, and will change them out for plain black sights soon. Another reason I went with the Mil Spec was it's hogged-out ejection port. I have to say, my gun has never had a FTE and is very easy on the spent brass. But I think a properly tuned GI can work just as well with the standard port. I'd use a magwell or at least a flat MSH with either gun, so the stock arched MSH with lanyard loop is a non-feature to me. Both guns come with sorry grips, so there is no distinction to be made there. I really bought my Mil Spec because, when I inspected it at the shop, I knew it was exceptionally well-built, even better than others I had seen, which had all been excellent. I noticed the stainless barrel, and the very nicely fit stainless bushing, and knew that it was a little different. Later, I found out that it's lack of import markings meant that it was built of US-machined frames. I think this batch, with "NM" serial numbers, might have gotten some special attention to fit in the factory. If I were doing it over today, I would get the GI. I think it is the hands-down champ in 1911 value.

Last edited:

Gino

I've got to disagree with Seraph. I got one of the G.I. models and the sights are not easy to use. If this is your ONE 1911, (meaning that you don't just HAVE to get a military looking gun) get the Milspec, not the G.I.

1911WB

SA choices

Although I agree with Gino about the sights, I went with the GI cause the one I handled at my local shop was so tighly fitted and the trigger was so good. Also like the looks of the GI! :)

Amegatek

Unless you can find one of the non-import Mil Specs, with the stainless one-piece barrel and stainless bushing, I'd go with the GI.

I have to disagree with Seraph here. My Standard Mil-Spec has the "Imbel" markings on it and the fit and finish on the gun are excellent. Accuracy was also excellent out of the box and my Mil-Spec has been 100% reliable. I picked mine up NIB at a local shop for $399 last year and I couldn't be happier. Just b/c the pistol doesn't have the NM serial number, does not mean it is not a quality pistol. JMHO. :cool:

GunsnRovers

either

Locally, I can get a GI for $399 and a Mil Spec for $449. The Mil Spec is built to an unknown spec. There is/was nothing like it. The GI is a 1911A1

I honestly don't see any reason to get one over the other. Pick your poison and enjoy.

I've heard a lot of talk about the newer NM marked Mil Specs without the Brazil markings and one piece barrels. I have yet to see anything that has convinced me that there is an advantage out of the box in the one piece barrel. I have seen regular Mil Specs shoot amazing groups in good hands (not mine!). I've also seen them hold up well to thousands of rounds. Browning HP's have been using 2 piece barrels since the 1960's. Regardless, the frames for both the normal versions and the NM versions both from from Imbel. The NM's are finished here in the US. The others are finished in Brazil.

Pick the one that suits your fancy. Either will also make a great donor for a built 1911.