Springfield 1911 Long Slide?

defjon

o I am thinking of getting a used Long Slide. I know nothing about these. A guy is selling one for 750. It is stainless and has only nominal wear from about 1,200 rounds through it.

Any issues with these models? Anything to look out for when I check it out? Is that a fair price?

I have the opportunity to fire before I buy and it includes extras like cleaning kit, hearing protection (those ear muff kind) etc.

Does it strip down like a normal 1911? I haven't seen one in person yet. I appreciate your help. I'm a long slide newbie.

toyman69

My long slide is one of my favorite guns to shoot. it is extreemly accurate. I bought mine 3 years ago for near that price. and have not regretted buying at all. mine has some custom work done to it, and probably had a lot more rounds through her than yours. as far as take down it is basicly the same. mine has the full length guide rod (kind of a pain). added a pic of my 1911 collection and you will notice that the long slide is the first one there on the top.

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

HoraceHogsnort

There's nuth'n magical about a long slide 1911. The barrel, slide, and frame are all an inch longer and you'll probably get a bit more velocity. If I were going to buy one I'd opt for the 10mm or 460 Rowland in a carbon steel frame and slide. That'd make a good hog hunt'n gun and it'd be more than adequate for uninvited guests at 3:00 am but for a carry gun you have to be a big dude to make it work comfortably. ;)

swsurgeon

A friend of mine bought a Springfield longslide as his first handgun, despite advice from every one of his shooting buddies to get a regular or commander size. He's about a 6'2" triathlete so the weight is no big deal. He really likes it and I must admit that it functions flawlessly and shoots great.

However, now that my pal lives in a free state and can get a carry permit, he's bought a Kimber Pro Carry II. It looks to be commander size and it is a lot lighter and more compact for daily carry or for backpacking trips, where weight is more significant.

I'd consider a longslide for target but, as noted in a previous post, I'd rather convert a regular 1911 to 460 Rowland if I wanted to hunt with a 1911.

sgms

My long slide is a custom built bullseye match gun, outstanding for match shooting. But for carry I most often go with a commander length or shorter. There I'm not shooting for one hole dead center groups at 50 yards but at the much to close threat at less the 20 feet thats planning on doing something to me I don't want done. Just don't need the extra length, weight, or discomfort of hauling a long slide in a IWB rig. But that me, if it works for you I'm all for it.

There's the most beatiful Clark Long slide 1911 in my Gander mtn, it's very high quality and the test target is displayed. It's a .73" group at 50yards (no exaggeration, signed by a clark smith). It's only 1000$ also, too bad clays have taken the budget.

OJ

Despite a well deserved reputation for really poor QC at AMT (the 22 LR Ruger copy was so bad it couldn't be fixed - got full refund) - I did get one of their Hardballer Longslide 1911 type pistols in 1987 $378 price had something to do with my decision - and it's a winner. Digests any ammo I feed it, is accurate, reliable, and a ball to shoot. Only mods I have are low mount thumb safeties and better grips and slide stop.

P8100014_01.jpg

Several interesting things - the frame is government size and the slide and barrel are 2" longer - but - the recoil spring plug is twice the length of the government model size and the forward half of it is solid - so - the recoil spring is the same length (30 coils) and strength (16#) as the government model.

It is particularly much fun to shoot those DT hot loads (230gr@1010 fps and 515ft/lbs muzzle energy) since the longer slide soaks up the added recoil - making it feel much like a government model shooting standard ammo. Makes a good carry gun for camping.

Last edited:

chuckscap

I've had a Springfield V16 Longslide in 45 Super for almost 10 years, have about 4000 rounds through it, it feeds and functions flawlessly with both 45 ACP, and 45 ACP +P with the regular spring and 45 Super with the 19 lb spring (it came with two springs). It's a little big and long for carry, but it's my carry gun. It's incredibly accurate and with normal 45 ACP rounds recoil is neglible.

A great gun!

DSC01109.jpg

zombieslayer

Eh, for a built-to-order gun, that wouldn't be too much, imo. I'm very tempted to call them up and order... But alas, it'll have to be on the back burner this year, two new rifles, a PPS, and a Vbob have blown my gun-buying budget for the year already, and I'm re-modeling my house :(... But maybe that will be my christmas present to myself this year!

G. Freeman

Does it strip down like a normal 1911?

It is very difficult to reassemble if you don't know how, but it is truly a very fun gun to shoot.

Finally bought one last year, it had to go back to Springfield for some repairs but after that the results were outstanding.