Springfield 1903 Research Begins...

I recently bought a Springfield 1903 manufactured by Remington. Model # is 3144***. According to the M1903.com site, it was manufactured between June and July of 1942. Here are the particulars:

The wood is immaculate. I have a hard time thinking it wasn't refinished sometime in its life, but I can't confirm this. The proof mark is a VERY faint "P" with a circle around it. It's so faint that it isn't embossed and you have to look very carefully to see it. I cannot see any sanding marks in the grain of the wood to show signs of prep work for refinish. I haven't disassembled the rifle yet. I can't see any inspectors' stamp. From what I understand, it should be on the left side of the stock, just to the rear of the cut-off recess. I don't know if I'm looking at the right spot. There should be an "RLB" or "END" enclosed in a rectangle, but don't see it. It think it has stock pins, not bolts. Don't know for sure how to tell. The left side is smoothe. the right side looks like they're staked.

The barrel is dated "7 43" stamped with "RA" along with the flaming grenade. I'm thinking it's not the original barrel. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any markings on the barrel under the rear sight on either side. However, the bore is extremely clean and bright.

The bolt doesn't have a serial number. I don't know if there were s/n's anyway. The cutoff has a small "R" stamped on it as well as the bolt. When the bolt is in the closed position, there's an "8" stamped on top of the flat surface. There's also an "R" on the rear bolt piece.

The rear sight has several "R" stamps on the right side.

The middle band has a "U" stamped on the right side right next to the retaining lever.

The buttlplate is almost flawless.

The trigger breaks clean and light.

I'm trying to get an idea from experienced owners an assessment based on this observation and any additional items of discussion. I'll try to get pics up soon. Bear with me, I stink at posting pics.

jpwilly

Pretty sure the "R" is for Remington. The circle p behind the trigger guard is the proof firing acceptance from the arsenal the letters on the left side of buttstock are the original maker and refurb arsenals initials and of course the date on the barrel is when the rifle was refitted or made for WWII. Sounds like a nice rifle you have there...here's mine...

bbl016.jpg

bbl012.jpg

range020208011.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0943.jpg

ken22250

the RA may be for rock island arsenal, depending on when the action was made, later models were made at remington, if its a 43 barrel it was made at remington. hope i can help, ive never checked to thouroly into them, i checked mine after i got it and its all origional springfield 1921, all matching #'s. after i checked that i quit lookin.
ken

darkgael

The RA indicates that the barrel was made by Remington Arms.(Rock Island Arsenal = RIA). Not all bolts were numbered.
Two books to have, if you have more than a passing interest in these fine old rifles, are: William S. Brophy's "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" (this is the definitive study) and Julian Hatcher's "Notebook".
Remington began making 1903 rifles in November of 1941. Any rifles made after April 1943 are referred to as "modified".
Is your stock straight (it should be) or pistol grip (later production)?
Pete

nbkky71

Stock pins are correct for your stock as the stock bolts didn't come into use until 1943. It's easy to tell the difference since the bolts have a nut (usually peened into place) on one side of the stock.

The faint proof mark cartouche may indicate the the stock has been sanded and/or refinished at some point. You are correct that there should be a an RLB or END enclosed in a rectangle.

The gap between the '42 receiver and the '43 barrel does suggest at least one overhaul/repair in it's life. However, there should be an arsenal stamp on the stock if that was the case.

Are there any stamped parts on the rifle? If so, perhaps it may fall into the "1903 Modified" category.

Piper Cub said:
The Rock Isand Arsenal is a good place to stop for your research too. I visited it once a few years back.

I need to head back out there. Haven't been there in 3 or 4 years. That reminds me maybe the better half and I should head back out there in a couple of weeks....

I was at this store when I was seeing a cousin. Neat place. Looks like they are still in businness.

I went there a few months ago. I think it would be best if I refrain from saying anything in particular.I don't have one single thing good to say about them. I will NEVER recommend buying a firearm from them.:(

Pretty sure the "R" is for Remington.

I did find that out. Looks like the rear sights, bolt, and receiver are definitely from Remington.

darkgael said:
Two books to have, if you have more than a passing interest in these fine old rifles, are: William S. Brophy's "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" (this is the definitive study) and Julian Hatcher's "Notebook".
Remington began making 1903 rifles in November of 1941. Any rifles made after April 1943 are referred to as "modified".
Is your stock straight (it should be) or pistol grip (later production)?

Looks like I have some reading to do...

Modified? Is this necessarily a bad thing? I've been looking into the date of manufacture and it appears this is where straight '03s and A3s become intertwined.

Fortunately, the stock is straight.

brian45auto

is the bolt blued or parked?
very most likely it was refinshed some time just before the war ended to right after the conclusion. while there are examples of unissued, unrefinished a3s, most have been refinished. it's not uncommon to find a refinished gun, that has been shot very little to not at all since it's over haul some 70 years ago.
in their original appearance the a3 stocks were very crude to say the least, the over hauls actually "improved" them with the fresh sanding they received. doesn't normally work out that way.
at the time they were overhauled, they had already been declared obsolete. there was no rush to get them back in service, so more time was taken. that meant more guns went back together with the right parts, instead of just whatever part that guy happened to pick up.
one of mine was a pre-cmp gun from the 50's, the guy never shot it, wish i hadn't either.

and of course the date on the barrel is when the rifle was refitted or made for WWII.

the barrel date is nothing more than the date teh barrel was manufactured.
typically barrel dates a month or two ahead of receiver dates are considered "correct".

Last edited: