Springfield 1903 mk 1 with mk II bolt

Mustang67ford

Hello all, first post here. Recently picked up a sporterized springfield 1903 mark 1. It is sn 1,144,xxx so it is a high number gun. Based on the sn, it was built in 1919 and the barrel is marked sa 11-19 so I am assuming it is the original barrel as well. Since it is a high number, it should have the double heated receiver. It is tapped for dovetail and has a scope mounted to it. The dovetail is blocking the mark 1 wording, but other characteristics indicate it is a mark 1. I have the name of the gunsmith that built the gun, but he is long gone now, but looks like it was done well. One of the things I am confused about is the bolt. The bolt itself is marked "mark II". I am not able to find any info on the bolt anywhere, even doing a search on it. Anyways, figured I would post and see if anybody know anything about the bolt or has any thoughts on the gun. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230312-074642_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312-074642_Gallery.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230312_075214.jpg
    20230312_075214.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230312_075308.jpg
    20230312_075308.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Mustang67ford

Some additional pics. Crown looks good. Also don't know if the floor plate is supposed to open somehow?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230312-075722_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312-075722_Gallery.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230312-075652_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312-075652_Gallery.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230312-074713_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230312-074713_Gallery.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 29

Mustang67ford

I think I am making some headway. Though I don't know the bolt model yet, it appears the "mark II" on it is just for the safety lever probably changed due to the scope.

Jim Watson

Mk II is the one sided scope safety.

If the bolt handle has a bit of sweep to the rear, it is a later type, assuming that was not part of modifying it to clear the scope.

The knob has been turned off the striker, presumably to reduce its mass and speed the lock time.

The floor plate will open by pushing a FMJ bullet nose or tool into the hole in front of the trigger guard.

eastbank

i have a mk-1 # 1140998 with a barrel date of 1-20 that has been semi sporterized with a cut down military stock. it has a williams reciever peep sight on it and it shoots lights out with my hunting rifle reloads. i am looking for a better stock for it and then will refinish the metal.

Mustang67ford

Mk II is the one sided scope safety.

If the bolt handle has a bit of sweep to the rear, it is a later type, assuming that was not part of modifying it to clear the scope.

The knob has been turned off the striker, presumably to reduce its mass and speed the lock time.

The floor plate will open by pushing a FMJ bullet nose or tool into the hole in front of the trigger guard.
Figured out a dayton traister mark II safety was added. The handle is sweped, but it doesn't look like there was any machining on the back of the striker to remove the knob. Were there strikers without the knob that would fit this bolt? How would that improve lock time?
Thanks for the info on the floor plate will give it a try.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Lock time: Lock time or action time refers to the time interval (often measured in milliseconds) from when the trigger of a firearm is activated until the firing pin strikes the primer.

Lighter firing pins/striker, stiffer springs, or both improve speed of the lock time.

Mustang67ford

Lock time: Lock time or action time refers to the time interval (often measured in milliseconds) from when the trigger of a firearm is activated until the firing pin strikes the primer.

Lighter firing pins/striker, stiffer springs, or both improve speed of the lock time.
Thanks for the info.

Mustang67ford

What is a good source for a new extractor? Also, since the safety was changed, it does not have the middle position you put it in normally for bolt disassembly. The safety is either on with not being able to open the bolt, or off. Do you just keep it in the off position?