Springfield 1873 Trapdoor

SRE

Few days ago I acquired my first Springfield Trapdoor 1873 in 45-70. How I came about it was almost an accident but i'd been looking for one off and on for years now. I don't know a lot about them so i'd figure I would ask you all!

Serial number is 6 digits. 254XXX stamped behind the trapdoor on the receiver.

Overall length is about 52" and barrel seems to be about 32". The research I've done on the serial numbers leans towards to manufacture to be in 1884. But the reference data I looked at also shows that no "rifles" were produced in that year. Just "carbines". So i'm stumped.

Overall the bore is incredibly good shape. Rust is minimal and pitting is nonexistent.

Stock has a crack in the wrist but looks like it may have been a prior period correct fix. Walnut dowels looked to have been used.

Now the kicker is to the untrained eye it is stamped "1878" on the trapdoor itself but closer examination reveals it is a "3" and not an "8".

I could not find a cartouche anywhere on the stock but further in depth examination may show there to be one.

Anyone who could provide some further info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 105

SRE

Some more photos

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 65

Mk VII

This appears to have the Buffington sight but not the rod bayonet, making it the Model of 1884. The quoted serial appears rather low for this model's range. Some early M1884s used up stocks of breechblocks with the 1873 designation on them.
Many Springfields have been altered over the years or are mixmasters put together from surplus parts.

Dragonflydf

The rod bayonet was not used until late in the Trapdoors service life, it should have a cleaning rod under the barrel.
This is one from the 311,000 serial range
IMAG0317.jpg

SRE

Yes my trapdoor does have the cleaning rod. Has a little detent to hold it in place... which obviously you all know that but I didnt as I am new to the scene. I thought that was very cool. These are fine rifles. I'll post some more pics.

This rear sight if fancy for sure. It swivels left to right for windage also and graduates way high up. Not sure what the numbers are supposed to be? What measurement? Yards? Meters? Seems to be a peep sight in it too. A small circle that has arrows coming out of it to select the numbers. Super high tech back in the 1870's!

sgms

You are correct there were no Model 1878. There are a lot of model 1873's that were deeply stamped making them read 1878. from the serial number and the addition of the Buffington sight I'm guessing yours is an M. 1873 made some time between 1884 when the Buffington sight came into use and 1890 when the ramrod bayonet was added.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Frasca & Hill date that serial number to 1884. 34380 rifles were made in that Fiscal Year. (Since Ordnance reports were made on a FY year basis, exact figures for Calendar Years are not available; an estimate is 34,775 rifles for CY 1884.) The Government FY at the time ran from 1 July to 30 June.

There was a "Model 1884" rifle little changed from the Model 1873; the "Model 1884 Rod Bayonet" rifle, which was considered a different model, was not produced until mid 1885 (FY 1885). The 1884 Rod Bayonet rifle was later dropped from production; the Model 1888 rifle used a slightly improved rod bayonet system.

With a .45 caliber rifle, the rod bayonet made some sense, eliminating the need for a separate bayonet and scabbard. Plus, the supply of Civil War era bayonets, which Springfield had been altering to bayonets for the trapdoor, was just about exhausted. When the same idea was carried over to a .30 caliber rifle in 1903, the rod was too thin, leading to the famous intervention by President Teddy Roosevelt.

Jim