Springfield 1873 Trapdoor replicas

vtchopperdude

Anyone have a Springfield 1873 trapdoor replica? I'm looking into to getting one, if I can find one for the right price. The originals are cool, but I'd like a modern replica that can shoot smokeless cartridges. I know Uberti makes the rifle and carbine, but not only are they quite pricey, but the carbine is extremely hard to find. H&R made a nice rep back in the 70s and 80s. They are somewhat less rare, but apparently use a round cam instead of a square cam, so the breech will occasionally pop open unexpectedly. That can be fixed, but it's not cheap. Pedersoli also makes a rep, and I believe Navy Arms makes a rep as well with licensing from Pedersoli. I'm just looking for feedback from anyone with an 1873 replica. Thanks.

44 AMP

Staff
Friend of mine has one of the H&R guns, beautiful thing. He's the second owner (as far as he knows) and neither he nor the previous owner ever had it pop open, and he spoke with some other trapdoor owners, both originals and repros, and the cam issue you describe was unknown to all of them.

Where does the cam problem information come from??

DukeConnor

I purchased a Pedersoli carbine ftom Midway last summer. It is a beautiful rifle. The wood is nicer than I expected. Zero complaints except for the price.

vtchopperdude

Good to hear about the quality of the Pedersoli. Midway doesn't have them in stock currently, but has them listed for almost $2k. Seems a bit steep. Other retailers have them listed for around $1600ish, but no one has them in stock. From the sounds of it, the quality is unmatched compared to the other reps out there.

As far as the H&R issue...that's good to hear that others are not experiencing the cam issue. It may depend on the load as well. Here's a link to a SASS thread about the issue. Apparently, it can be quite dangerous if the set screw on the round cam comes loose. Due to the complaints with the H&R breech coming open unexpectedly, Pedersoli fixed the issue by using a square cam.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/249193-h-r-trapdoor-carbine/

And here's the actual article that is linked in the above thread:

https://www.gunmart.net/militaria/reproduction-firearms/pedersoli-trapdoor-springfield-carbine

Now the ultimate question. A H&R goes for around $1k used on GunBroker. The Pedersoli is listed on Midway for just under $2k new. Is the quality of the Pedersoli worth double the money??

Ultimately, I just like the allure of the trapdoor. I don't plan to compete with it or anything. I like the rifle, the round, and the nostalgia. Those that own a trapdoor (H&R, Pedersoli, Navy Arms, etc), do you run smokeless powder? Supposedly these newer replicas can handle modern standard smokeless loads. I normally run HSM 405gr cowboy loads through my Henry 45-70. Would it be unsafe to run smokeless cowboy loads through a new model trapdoor replica?

Last edited:

Scorch

I have fixed several of the H&R trapdoors. They need a very simple modification in order to be reliable. Remove the two lock screws that hold the extractor pin to the breech block. Remove the extractor pin. Mill a flat on the pin for the set screw to hold. Reassemble.

As far as shooting smokeless, you can shoot standard loads of smokeless (Trapdoor loads) in the H&R Trapdoor, but do not try firing heavier loads. The gun is a very close copy of the original and will rapidly disassemble just like an original. If you want a 45-70 that will handle heavy loads, buy a converted Siamese Mauser, a Baikal, a Ruger #1 or something similar.

vtchopperdude

Thank you for your reply and knowledge. I don't hand load, so in your opinion, would off the shelf 405gr cowboy ammo be ok? PMC and HSM make some 405gr flat nose lead cartridges that I run in my Henry 45-70. Obviously a far newer and stronger firearm, but again, I'm not in my basement hand loading heavy loads. Just trying to figure out what the threshold is for a "heavy load" in a replica trapdoor and if I can run off-the-shelf smokeless rounds. Thank you.

44 AMP

Staff
Standard "off the shelf" loads (NOT Cowby loads) from Rem, Win, or any of the other ammo makers shoot a 405gr bullet at black powder speeds and black powder pressures. They are made to be safe in ORIGINAL trapdoors, and will be safe in reproductions.

Cowboy loads are, I believe, some what lighter than standard ammo and if so, would also be safe in any Trapddoor in good functional condition.

vtchopperdude

Ok, thank you! I'm an avid firearms enthusiast, but my ammunition knowledge is lacking. HSM makes a "cowboy action" 405 cartridge. These are lighter than a standard Federal 405gr or 300gr load I presume. But regardless, those Federal cartridges off-the-shelf shouldn't over-pressurize, correct.

My apologies. I just don't want to blow the gun up accidentally. I'd just be running off-the-shelf 405gr cartridges. Thanks.

vtchopperdude

Well fellas, finally found a decently priced new-in-box Uberti 1873 trapdoor on GunBroker. The MSRP from Uberti is around $1800, and I picked it up for $1300. Beautiful rifle! The fit and finish is outstanding and Uberti replicas are some of the best out there!

Has anyone fitted a stronger extractor spring to a new replica? That is one of the mods I've heard people doing. The spent case kicks out, but with not as much force as you see on the old original trapdoor models. I notice that sometimes the case is extracted from the chamber, but not always with enough force for it to hit the ejector and kick the case out onto the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_09611.jpg
    IMG_09611.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_09621.jpg
    IMG_09621.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 30

Road_Clam

I have an original 1884. Fantastic , nostalgic shooter. I primarily shoot about 65gr of 2F BP with the cast 405 RNFP bullet. I also shoot the same 405 gr bullet using a light charge of H4198 smokeless which gives me about 1240 fps.

Last edited: