Spring Air Rifle from Prone Position Suggestions

seanc

Any suggestions on how to shoot a spring air rifle from the prone position?

I have consistent, very good, groups when shooting off-hand from the standing and kneeling position, but I just can't seem to shoot well from the prone. My groups are usually in the 2" range at 12 yards, and thats not just from a flyer or 2, they're more like a shotgun patern (for 5 shot groups). It feels like I'm just wasting ammo when I try the prone position.

I have a .22 Gamo Whisper (sporter stock) with a nitro piston and GRT III trigger. I already know what ammo is the best for my rifle based on what I can do from standing (1/3" groups @ 12 yards, off-hand), so it's not an ammo issue.

Is it just the case that you can't do prone with a spring air? I can't seem to find a comfortable hold for it in this position. I was hoping the nitro piston would have made the rifle less hold sensitive, but that does not appear to be the case.

Thanks

oneoldsap

Spring piston Air guns are a breed unto themselves . You absolutely can not rest the forend on anything solid ! I put like 3 different scopes on mine before someone enlightened me to that fact . Just slide your hand under the forend and your groups will tighten right up .

Vt.birdhunter

Google "artillery hold".

Very effective with springers. I realize its much harder to do in prone than off a bench, but apply the concepts as much as you can. It will make a difference.

seanc

Yep. Already doing the artillary hold. Just having a devil of a time in the prone position. It seems the only time I can get consistent shots, the point of aim is well off where it is for standing and kneeling, and even then, the groups are larger than I'd like. Seeing as prone is supposed to be a more accurate shooting position, I'd like to practice that with my airgun. I'm thinking of getting a Crossman 1077 just to take any 'twang' out of the shot to learn the position.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The issue is that in some way you're restricting/affecting the recoil behavior in an inconsistent manner. Without seeing you shoot, it's not possible to figure it out.

Perhaps you could videotape yourself shooting and watch the videotape to see if you can pick up on what's going wrong.

g.willikers

If you are getting satisfactory results with the standing and kneeling position, is there a reason you need to use the prone?
How about my favorite, the sitting position?
Why fight Mother Nature.

Vt.birdhunter

The issue is that in some way you're restricting/affecting the recoil behavior in an inconsistent manner.
Yup, consistent form is everything with springers. Ive always thought ballerinas would make great springer shooters:p

The Crossman 1077 is a great little plinker but a pig on CO2. I get 30 consistent shots if I take my time and dont run the CO2 too fast. It is a frustrating rifle for target shooting unless you mod it to take paintball tanks.

Crossman's M4-177 is a great trainer for the price, IMO.

Air force rifles are so accurate they get boring;) Mine shoots well beyond the manufacturers accuracy claims. If you can swing the $, get one.