Spotting Scope?

baddarryl

Hi all. I am looking for one and am one of those you get what you pay for guys, but it is usually a budget stretch for me to get better stuff. I am looking at spotting scopes and want to shy from the cheap stuff, but no way can I go high end. I am thinking this and looks like a good price. Will I be able to see .223 at 400 with a scope such as this? That is the goal.

What else should I be looking at? Thank you.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Vortex-Razor-HD-16-48-65-Angled-Body-Spotting-Scope/productDetail/Vortex-Spotting-Scope/prod999901366046/cat125957

TXAZ

Look on Craigslist.org, or ebay.
If you're patient, you'll likely find a deal on a good name brand scope for 1/2 or less of a retail price.

I use a Celestron 8" telescope to look at 1000 yard targets, which I found on ebay for a song, and erector parts on craigslist to make it a terrestrial scope.

kenny53

I bought an Orion spotting scope a number of years ago.. 20x60x100. I paid $350. It is fantastic. At about 400-500 yards I could see eye lashes on a deer. Watching fire fighters at over a mile away and could see their every movement.

DaleA

I use a Celestron 8" telescope

Am I ever totally jealous!

Most every spotting scope I've ever used (but these were all sub $250 scopes) has been totally miserable when used to look at the moon or any other celestial object. Even sub $100 astronomical telescopes performed better.

You've probably done it already but if you haven't go out some night and take a look at Jupiter (my favorite) or Saturn.

Did you get an equatorial mount with it?

jw455

Lucid Optics has a new one this year that is budget friendly. We've taken ours hiking, range, on 2 sheep hunts, 3 deer hunts ... lots of places and it's held up. Elk season is next, next week actually They have a great warranty so I think that helps. It's a compact size SC9 9x-27x.

Savage99

That 65mm Vortex you link to is priced at $6500 and may not have any better resolution than the Konus I am using to spot at 200 yds.

reynolds357

I have retired my spotting scopes. The best ones can't hold a candle to remote video camera and laptop computer on the bench.

baddarryl

I have retired my spotting scopes. The best ones can't hold a candle to remote video camera and laptop computer on the bench.

How does the camera communicate with the laptop? Bluetooth? How far is that good for?

marine6680

I am thinking of picking up another spotting scope. Currently have a Simmons that was around $150, and it works ok for 100-200 yards.

Now I have access to a 600yd range, and need something better.

I am hoping a better scope will have better eye relief, eye box, and the focus be less twitchy.

I also need to get a solid tripod. I have an ok one for cameras, but it is not the best for a spotting scope, it's fine for remote camera work though.

I am thinking the $400-500 range is a good point to look.

reynolds357

How does the camera communicate with the laptop? Bluetooth? How far is that good for?
Not sure how it communicates, receiver plugs in USB port. Mine works 100 percent at 1000 yards. Some of the more expensive ones over a mile.

OzeanJaeger

The answer to your question is yes. @ 48x you will be able to see .22 holes @ 400yds. Vortex makes a great high clarity spotting scope. I have an older 65mm Swarovski (that cost twice as much) and I think the Vortex is just as clear and crisp. I have the 20-60X80, and I regularly use it out to 1,200yds at matches. There are usually flashers at that distance, but occasionally not, and 6mm/6.5mm doesn’t ring steel very hard at that distance. On a windy day you won’t hear the impacts, so spotting is critical, and that scope will do it.

reynolds357

One of my nerd buddies built mine, but target vision seems to be the best for the money. 1 mile $700. 2 miles about $900. 300 yd systems are available from many manufacturers for low $300 range.

baddarryl

That 65mm Vortex you link to is priced at $6500 and may not have any better resolution than the Konus I am using to spot at 200 yds.

Must have been something wrong with the link when you clicked on in.

Savage99

The Konuspot 80 I am still using is working great and costs only $189 !! besides being much easier to handle than the complicated computer/camera system that was suggested.

Here is a link to the one I suggest:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219547-REG/konus_7120b_konuspot_20_60x80_spotting_scope.html/?c3api=3679%2Cbing%2C2763659969%2C4585581963537995&msclkid=1059648313e11829b45f3ecaa5d54825

Savage99

vortex_razor_hd_164865_angled_body_spotting_scope_1314524_1.jpg