Spotting scope vs binocs for mulies

PTS1

I drew a mule deer tag for New Mexico. Will be my first out of state hunt (reside in West Texas now). I have a 16-48x65 prostaff spotting scope that I purchased a few years ago in the hope of hunting big open areas one day. I have only used it for star gazing and just viewing around the area, never for hunting as I have not needed it for where I ususally hunt. A friend of mine has a set of Fujinon 16x70 binoculars that he uses to glass with a tripod. I must say after using it, I really like the set-up. Very little eye-strain after prolonged use. Does anyone have experince with this type of set-up on mule deers out west? I have a pair of Minox 8X44 to wear around my neck, but was wondering if 12x or 15x binocs is enough power to look for mulies. Or should I just use my 8x binocs to scan and use my spotting scope for a close-up? I don't wont to carry both big binocs and a spotting scope. Thanks in advance for anyone with experience and advice.

Scorch

Congratulations on drawing your tags. In my experience (hunted over much of the West over the last 30 years), a spotting scope is an excellent investment when hunting open mountainous country. Not that you can't do the job with a good pair of binoculars, but you will be able to spot and evaluate deer much better with a good spotting scope. A spotting scope will be steadier and generally higher magnification than binoculars, making it possible to get a really good look at the animals before you hike over to get closer. My advice: get a good spotting scope, look at the higher end compact scopes rather than a full-sized scope for ease of packing, and get a compact tripod. Get a good scope from your manufacturer of choice, I like Leupold but others also make a good scope.

Good luck on your hunt!

PTS1

Thanks Scorch. I will start saving for a higher-end comtact spotting scope but in the meantime, I think (hope) my current nikon prostaff will do. Any recomendations for a compact spotting scope under $1,500 (that is high-end for me)?

Rifleman1776

Scope of any kind for mule deer?
I have never hunted out west.
But at one time I backpacked in the mountains of Washington State.
We could walk up on mule deer and practically had to kick them in the arse to get them to even get up and walk off.
What good is a scope at a range of 3 feet? I'm serious, aren't mule deer just a lazy, no-challenge animal to kill?
BTW, isn't a spotting scope just another heavy piece of equipment to carry around on a hunt? I try to travel as light as possible.

JerryM

I would not carry a spotting scope unless I were hunting for true record class animals. A pair of good set of 7 or 8 power binoculars is necessary, and you will be able to see what you need to see. If you see what appears to be a trophy buck put a stalk on it. I have gotten by with an old pair of Bushnell 7X25 binocs that I bought in the 60s. For me if binoculars were too big to fit in a large shirt pocket they were too big. I never found that I was handicapped.

For a rifle scope my favorite is my Leupold 2.5X8 VXIII. However, if you have a higher power scope it can double as a reasonable spotting scope. If you hunt hard the weight of the spotting scope will not be worth it. The less weight the better to a point.

I hunted in the West, mostly in NM for over 35 years, but everyone does not think alike.

Jerry

AllenJ

It depends on if you are just deer hunting or if you plan on holding out for a trophy animal. I hunt with only 8X binos because any decent buck or bull is going in my freezer, horn size is wonderful to look at but they don't taste worth a darn. I have hunted with people that are there for the horns and they carry spotting scopes so they can get every detail of the rack prior to shooting.

Rifleman, are you serious? I have hunted blacktail and mule deer for over 35 years and have yet to come across lazy, no-challenge to kill one yet. A couple may have been mentally retarded though:D

PTS1:

Unless you are hunting trophy bucks a spotting scope is most likely not needed. They are bulky and they have limited use. I have hunted Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming and California for deer and antelope. I only carried 7X35 Swift binoculaors and they served me fine.

Semper Fi.

Clifford L. Hughes
Gunneery sergeant
USMC Retired

jmr40

Are you going to have help carrying the gear? Will you be hunting from the road, or hiking miles into the back country? I think you already have all you need. Take your 8X binoculars and go hunting.

PTS1

Thanks guys. No, I am not holding out for a record class buck. If he is big enough to make my heart rate go up, then I am taking him if I can. Just wasn't sure if my 8X44s were powerful enough to scan and pick out a set of antlers in the shade. Thanks for all your advise.

cornbush

I like a good 10X binocular with the shoulder rig instead of the neck strap.
A spotting scope is good, but I don't want to carry the weight around.
I have never felt handicapped with just bino's.
With the shoulder straps instead of the neck strap they are held tight to the chest when not needed and are easy to bring up into use.

Last edited:

JimPage

Allenj:

I suspect Rifleman ran into those 'tame, lazy' mule deer out of hunting season -- probably in summer months. Whitetails don't start getting goosy again until September or so in this part of the country. I've never hunted in the North western states and never hunted muleys. I'm guessing they are similar to whitetails. :)

Hog Buster

It’s been many moons since I hunted Mule deer, but never found any reason to lug a spotting scope around when I did. A pair of 10X50 binoculars worked fine.

Muleys aren’t as spooky as Whitetail. If you jump one he may pronk just over the top of a hill and turn around and look back at you. His exposed head, neck and many times his shoulders make a great target. I’ve killed more than a few that have done this. With Whitetail all you would see is that white flag disappearing in the distance at a very rapid rate.

Addendum: Wow, I really was correct saying "many moons ago". The last Muley I killed was in September of 1958.....

Last edited:

fatwhiteboy

If you are glassing not far from a vehicle, you can use a spotting scope. They are a bit heavy to tote around the mountains. I have a pair of 10X42 Bausch and Lomb binoculars that I keep in the vehicle. If I am walking/stalking, I have a pair of Nikon 7X25 Travelite II's which fit in my shirt/jacket breast pocket that are pretty good.
When I hunt pigs in the central coast area of California, the guide I use has a pair of Swarovski 8X30 binos. I looked through them and immediately understood why he spent the money on them...

JerryM

Back in the late 50s some of the people I hunted with borrowed the Army 7X50s when we went deer hunting. The first day they bragged on how bright they were. But after that they left them in camp. Guess why??:D

On TV I see "hunters" carrying all sorts of gear. When you are hunting on your own, and especially going into the back country where you carry all your gear and food, every ounce counts as pounds soon.

Jerry

FrankenMauser

It depends on where you'll be hunting. If it's fairly open ground, take the binoculars. If you'll be in the trees, see below.

For Mule Deer hunting, I carry a scoped rifle. I hunt in the trees, in rough terrain. I don't have the patience or energy to deal with hauling around binoculars or a spotting scope. My go-to rifle wears a 3.5-10x40mm VX-3. I find 10 power to be more than enough, should I need to glass some terrain. Anything else that might be in my hands will be wearing a 3-9x scope, and serves the purpose just as well. Where I hunt, Mule Deer can't be seen from a distance. You have to get into the trees, and hunt them down.

Rifleman1776

Yep, I was serious.
Spear hunting wouldn't have been a challenge for muley's at the time.
This was in the late 1950's and was during hunting season. We often met 'hunters' on the trail.
The mule deer would lay around like cows in a pasture.
Beautiful racks but taking one would have been more of a harvest than hunt.

doofus47

I use 6x binoculars and have never felt near-sighted. But as others have pointed out, since I don't need to know details of horn size, etc., those details don't factor into my scoping.

good luck! let us know how it goes.