Spots in the bore?

defjon

I'm wondering exactly what this phrase means, or rather, translates into performance and durability wise. I was looking at an older model revolver the other day, a Colt Trooper actually, 1960's manufature. It was in really great condition, locked up tight, and had nice grips. The guy behind the counter asked 300 for it, but said that it had "spots in the bore". Other than that I would say it was in good to very good condition.

What exactly does spots in the bore mean? I have an idea, but I am not sure what it exactly sure what it would translate to in the long run. I imagine that each time you fire a high pressure 357 round, some of that powder or pressure is going to gouge out the holes more and comprimise the barrel and gun itself. This definately isn't satisfactory. Or, can spots be cleaned out?

Also, what does a "dirty bore" mean?

I'm just wondering if spots in the bore will hurt inherent accuracy of the gun, as well as long term durability. I want this gun to last, at least the next ten years or so. It would also need to hold up to regular range use and practice. How big of a deal are spots in the bore to these ends?

Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone have any experience with Llama Comanche III's? They had one of those also, asking about 245. It felt very similar to the Colt Trooper...but minus the spots, apparently. Any help is appreciated.

Jon-

Russ5924

Wow ! spots could be anything PITS FROM RUST,LEADING FROM SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS. EVEN FROM NOT CLEANING ( DIRTY Bore) just hard to say any time you go looking at pistols you need a pen light to check it out your self.:)

Jim Watson

I'd rather have a Colt with spots for $300 than a Lllaammaa without for $245.

Shooting depends on what the spots are, and if permanent, how large and deep. Might affect lead bullets, but jacketed will probably never notice unless the bore is very obviously bad.

jonathon

Odds are its rust discoloration.. which means he cleaned off the rust that was there ;)

as long as its not pitted.. should be great.

41special

As far as spot's in the bore, I've got a M1905 with more pits in the bore than you can spit at, but it's shoots as good as I imagine it did way back when.

As far as LLama, I've had 2 of them a IX-C (widebody .45) and a Comanche. Now maybe I've just had a very lucky draw, but both of mine are outstanding shooter's. The 45 I'll put against any 45 you can pull out.

But their not good looking at all, I'd pay 245 for the LLama if it's brand new.

On the Colt you might be rolling the dice.

Which one do you like better ?

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"